A phase III study of lenalidomide maintenance after debulking therapy in patients with advanced cutaneous T-cell lymphoma - EORTC 21081 (NCT01098656): results and lessons learned for future trial designs.
Cowan, Richard A
AffiliationDepartment of Dermatology, AEuropean Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEORTC 21081 was a randomized phase III study of observation alone versus lenalidomide maintenance (25 mg po for 21 days) after debulking therapy in patients with advanced-stage cutaneous T-cell lymphomas (CTCLs). The aim was to investigate whether maintenance treatment with lenalidomide prolonged response after debulking in patients who had not been previously treated with intravenous chemotherapy. A total of 26 centres from 10 different European countries registered 30 patients with advanced CTCL. Twenty-one patients were randomized (20% of the 105 patients initially deemed necessary for the study; the study was terminated early following withdrawal of funding support from Celgene). Of 30 registered patients, nine failed to be randomized, 12 were randomized to observation alone, and nine to lenalidomide maintenance. Median progression-free survival was 5.3 months (95% CI: 1.87-22.54) in the maintenance lenalidomide group and two months (95% CI: 0.92-7.82) in the observation alone group. Although statistical comparison in the study was severely underpowered and would not be meaningful, this study provides useful information, revealing rapid disease progression within four weeks in a third of patients, highlighting the need for maintenance therapy.
CitationA phase III study of lenalidomide maintenance after debulking therapy in patients with advanced cutaneous T-cell lymphoma - EORTC 21081 (NCT01098656): results and lessons learned for future trial designs. 2017 Eur J Dermatol
JournalEuropean Journal of Dermatology
- Lenalidomide versus investigator's choice in relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma (MCL-002; SPRINT): a phase 2, randomised, multicentre trial.
- Authors: Trněný M, Lamy T, Walewski J, Belada D, Mayer J, Radford J, Jurczak W, Morschhauser F, Alexeeva J, Rule S, Afanasyev B, Kaplanov K, Thyss A, Kuzmin A, Voloshin S, Kuliczkowski K, Giza A, Milpied N, Stelitano C, Marks R, Trümper L, Biyukov T, Patturajan M, Bravo ML, Arcaini L, SPRINT trial investigators and in collaboration with the European Mantle Cell Lymphoma Network.
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Lenalidomide maintenance in patients with relapsed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma who are not eligible for autologous stem cell transplantation: an open label, single-arm, multicentre phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Ferreri AJ, Sassone M, Zaja F, Re A, Spina M, Rocco AD, Fabbri A, Stelitano C, Frezzato M, Rusconi C, Zambello R, Couto S, Ren Y, Arcari A, Bertoldero G, Nonis A, Scarfò L, Calimeri T, Cecchetti C, Chiozzotto M, Govi S, Ponzoni M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Chemotherapy plus lenalidomide versus autologous transplantation, followed by lenalidomide plus prednisone versus lenalidomide maintenance, in patients with multiple myeloma: a randomised, multicentre, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Gay F, Oliva S, Petrucci MT, Conticello C, Catalano L, Corradini P, Siniscalchi A, Magarotto V, Pour L, Carella A, Malfitano A, Petrò D, Evangelista A, Spada S, Pescosta N, Omedè P, Campbell P, Liberati AM, Offidani M, Ria R, Pulini S, Patriarca F, Hajek R, Spencer A, Boccadoro M, Palumbo A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- A phase 2, multicentre, single-arm, open-label study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of single-agent lenalidomide (Revlimid) in subjects with relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: the EXPECT trial.
- Authors: Morschhauser F, Fitoussi O, Haioun C, Thieblemont C, Quach H, Delarue R, Glaisner S, Gabarre J, Bosly A, Lister J, Li J, Coiffier B
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Final report of a phase 2 clinical trial of lenalidomide monotherapy for patients with T-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Toumishey E, Prasad A, Dueck G, Chua N, Finch D, Johnston J, van der Jagt R, Stewart D, White D, Belch A, Reiman T
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 1