Brown, Michael D
Ho Lau, C
Clarke, Noel W
AffiliationProstate Cancer Research Group, Centre for Molecular Medicine Norway, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer is the most common male cancer and androgen receptor (AR) is the major driver of the disease. Here we show that Enoyl-CoA delta isomerase 2 (ECI2) is a novel AR-target that promotes prostate cancer cell survival. Increased ECI2 expression predicts mortality in prostate cancer patients (p = 0.0086). ECI2 encodes for an enzyme involved in lipid metabolism, and we use multiple metabolite profiling platforms and RNA-seq to show that inhibition of ECI2 expression leads to decreased glucose utilization, accumulation of fatty acids and down-regulation of cell cycle related genes. In normal cells, decrease in fatty acid degradation is compensated by increased consumption of glucose, and here we demonstrate that prostate cancer cells are not able to respond to decreased fatty acid degradation. Instead, prostate cancer cells activate incomplete autophagy, which is followed by activation of the cell death response. Finally, we identified a clinically approved compound, perhexiline, which inhibits fatty acid degradation, and replicates the major findings for ECI2 knockdown. This work shows that prostate cancer cells require lipid degradation for survival and identifies a small molecule inhibitor with therapeutic potential.
CitationLipid degradation promotes prostate cancer cell survival. 2017 Oncotarget
- HNF1B, EZH2 and ECI2 in prostate carcinoma. Molecular, immunohistochemical and clinico-pathological study.
- Authors: Dundr P, Bártů M, Hojný J, Michálková R, Hájková N, Stružinská I, Krkavcová E, Hadravský L, Kleissnerová L, Kopejsková J, Hiep BQ, Němejcová K, Jakša R, Čapoun O, Řezáč J, Jirsová K, Franková V
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 1
- Positive regulation of prostate cancer cell growth by lipid droplet forming and processing enzymes DGAT1 and ABHD5.
- Authors: Mitra R, Le TT, Gorjala P, Goodman OB Jr
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 6
- Identification and characterization of Eci3, a murine kidney-specific Δ3,Δ2-enoyl-CoA isomerase.
- Authors: van Weeghel M, Ofman R, Argmann CA, Ruiter JP, Claessen N, Oussoren SV, Wanders RJ, Aten J, Houten SM
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Inhibition of androgen receptor and β-catenin activity in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Lee E, Madar A, David G, Garabedian MJ, Dasgupta R, Logan SK
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 24
- Choline Kinase Alpha as an Androgen Receptor Chaperone and Prostate Cancer Therapeutic Target.
- Authors: Asim M, Massie CE, Orafidiya F, Pértega-Gomes N, Warren AY, Esmaeili M, Selth LA, Zecchini HI, Luko K, Qureshi A, Baridi A, Menon S, Madhu B, Escriu C, Lyons S, Vowler SL, Zecchini VR, Shaw G, Hessenkemper W, Russell R, Mohammed H, Stefanos N, Lynch AG, Grigorenko E, D'Santos C, Taylor C, Lamb A, Sriranjan R, Yang J, Stark R, Dehm SM, Rennie PS, Carroll JS, Griffiths JR, Tavaré S, Mills IG, McEwan IJ, Baniahmad A, Tilley WD, Neal DE
- Issue date: 2016 May