Phylogenetic ctDNA analysis depicts early stage lung cancer evolution.
Bi, Wenya L
Blackhall, Fiona H
Summers, Yvonne J
Van Loo, P
AffiliationCancer Research UK Lung Cancer Centre of Excellence London and Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe early detection of relapse following primary surgery for non-small cell lung cancer and the characterization of emerging subclones seeding metastatic sites might offer new therapeutic approaches to limit tumor recurrence. The potential to non-invasively track tumor evolutionary dynamics in ctDNA of early-stage lung cancer is not established. Here we conduct a tumour-specific phylogenetic approach to ctDNA profiling in the first 100 TRACERx (TRAcking non-small cell lung Cancer Evolution through therapy (Rx)) study participants, including one patient co-recruited to the PEACE (Posthumous Evaluation of Advanced Cancer Environment) post-mortem study. We identify independent predictors of ctDNA release and perform tumor volume limit of detection analyses. Through blinded profiling of post-operative plasma, we observe evidence of adjuvant chemotherapy resistance and identify patients destined to experience recurrence of their lung cancer. Finally, we show that phylogenetic ctDNA profiling tracks the subclonal nature of lung cancer relapse and metastases, providing a new approach for ctDNA driven therapeutic studies.
CitationPhylogenetic ctDNA analysis depicts early stage lung cancer evolution. 2017 Nature
- Comprehensive Analysis of the Discordance of EGFR Mutation Status between Tumor Tissues and Matched Circulating Tumor DNA in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Wan R, Wang Z, Lee JJ, Wang S, Li Q, Tang F, Wang J, Sun Y, Bai H, Wang D, Zhao J, Duan J, Zhuo M, An T, Wu M, Chen Z, Yang Z, Wang J
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Role of circulating-tumor DNA analysis in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Jiang T, Ren S, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Circulating mutational portrait of cancer: manifestation of aggressive clonal events in both early and late stages.
- Authors: Yang M, Topaloglu U, Petty WJ, Pagni M, Foley KL, Grant SC, Robinson M, Bitting RL, Thomas A, Alistar AT, Desnoyers RJ, Goodman M, Albright C, Porosnicu M, Vatca M, Qasem SA, DeYoung B, Kytola V, Nykter M, Chen K, Levine EA, Staren ED, D'Agostino RB Jr, Petro RM, Blackstock W, Powell BL, Abraham E, Pasche B, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2017 May 4
- Variations in EGFR ctDNA Correlates to the Clinical Efficacy of Afatinib in Non Small Cell Lung Cancer with Acquired Resistance.
- Authors: He J, Tan W, Tang X, Ma J
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Base-Position Error Rate Analysis of Next-Generation Sequencing Applied to Circulating Tumor DNA in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Prospective Study.
- Authors: Pécuchet N, Zonta E, Didelot A, Combe P, Thibault C, Gibault L, Lours C, Rozenholc Y, Taly V, Laurent-Puig P, Blons H, Fabre E
- Issue date: 2016 Dec