Inflammation, DNA damage, Helicobacter pylori and gastric tumorigenesis.
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationGastroenterology Unit, Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University Athens, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHelicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a Gram negative bacterium that colonizes the stomach of almost half human population. It has evolved to escape immune surveillance, establishes lifelong inflammation, predisposing to genomic instability and DNA damage, notably double strand breaks. The epithelial host cell responds by activation of DNA damage repair (DDR) machinery that seems to be compromised by the infection. It is therefore now accepted that genetic damage is a major mechanism operating in cases of H. pylori induced carcinogenesis. Here, we review the data on the molecular pathways involved in DNA damage and DDR activation during H. pylori infection.
CitationInflammation, DNA damage, Helicobacter pylori and gastric tumorigenesis. 2017, 8:20 Front Genet
JournalFrontiers in Genetics
- Carcinogenic bacterial pathogen Helicobacter pylori triggers DNA double-strand breaks and a DNA damage response in its host cells.
- Authors: Toller IM, Neelsen KJ, Steger M, Hartung ML, Hottiger MO, Stucki M, Kalali B, Gerhard M, Sartori AA, Lopes M, Müller A
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 6
- Helicobacter pylori infection introduces DNA double-strand breaks in host cells.
- Authors: Hanada K, Uchida T, Tsukamoto Y, Watada M, Yamaguchi N, Yamamoto K, Shiota S, Moriyama M, Graham DY, Yamaoka Y
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Molecular Mechanisms of <i>H. pylori</i>-Induced DNA Double-Strand Breaks.
- Authors: Kidane D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 23
- Lycopene inhibits Helicobacter pylori-induced ATM/ATR-dependent DNA damage response in gastric epithelial AGS cells.
- Authors: Jang SH, Lim JW, Morio T, Kim H
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 1
- Accumulation of abasic sites induces genomic instability in normal human gastric epithelial cells during Helicobacter pylori infection.
- Authors: Kidane D, Murphy DL, Sweasy JB
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 24