Interrogating open issues in cancer precision medicine with patient-derived xenografts.
Alférez, Denis G
Clarke, Robert B
Eckhardt, S Gail
de Jong, S
Pelicci, Pier G
AffiliationEurOPDX Consortium and are at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin 2, Ireland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatient-derived xenografts (PDXs) have emerged as an important platform to elucidate new treatments and biomarkers in oncology. PDX models are used to address clinically relevant questions, including the contribution of tumour heterogeneity to therapeutic responsiveness, the patterns of cancer evolutionary dynamics during tumour progression and under drug pressure, and the mechanisms of resistance to treatment. The ability of PDX models to predict clinical outcomes is being improved through mouse humanization strategies and the implementation of co-clinical trials, within which patients and PDXs reciprocally inform therapeutic decisions. This Opinion article discusses aspects of PDX modelling that are relevant to these questions and highlights the merits of shared PDX resources to advance cancer medicine from the perspective of EurOPDX, an international initiative devoted to PDX-based research.
CitationInterrogating open issues in cancer precision medicine with patient-derived xenografts. 2017, Nat. Rev. Cancer
JournalNature Reviews. Cancer
- Movember GAP1 PDX project: An international collection of serially transplantable prostate cancer patient-derived xenograft (PDX) models.
- Authors: Navone NM, van Weerden WM, Vessella RL, Williams ED, Wang Y, Isaacs JT, Nguyen HM, Culig Z, van der Pluijm G, Rentsch CA, Marques RB, de Ridder CMA, Bubendorf L, Thalmann GN, Brennen WN, Santer FR, Moser PL, Shepherd P, Efstathiou E, Xue H, Lin D, Buijs J, Bosse T, Collins A, Maitland N, Buzza M, Kouspou M, Achtman A, Taylor RA, Risbridger G, Corey E
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Prioritizing therapeutic targets using patient-derived xenograft models.
- Authors: Lodhia KA, Hadley AM, Haluska P, Scott CL
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- B-Cell Lymphoma Patient-Derived Xenograft Models Enable Drug Discovery and Are a Platform for Personalized Therapy.
- Authors: Zhang L, Nomie K, Zhang H, Bell T, Pham L, Kadri S, Segal J, Li S, Zhou S, Santos D, Richard S, Sharma S, Chen W, Oriabure O, Liu Y, Huang S, Guo H, Chen Z, Tao W, Li C, Wang J, Fang B, Wang J, Li L, Badillo M, Ahmed M, Thirumurthi S, Huang SY, Shao Y, Lam L, Yi Q, Wang YL, Wang M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Characterization of drug responses of mini patient-derived xenografts in mice for predicting cancer patient clinical therapeutic response.
- Authors: Zhang F, Wang W, Long Y, Liu H, Cheng J, Guo L, Li R, Meng C, Yu S, Zhao Q, Lu S, Wang L, Wang H, Wen D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 26
- Patient-derived xenograft models of breast cancer and their predictive power.
- Authors: Whittle JR, Lewis MT, Lindeman GJ, Visvader JE
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 10