Of hemangioblast, hemogenic endothelium and primitive versus definitive hematopoiesis.
AffiliationStem Cell Biology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Wilmslow road
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe types of progenitors generated during the successive stages of embryonic blood development are now fairly well characterized. The terminology used to describe these waves, however, can still be confusing. What is truly primitive? What is uniquely definitive? These questions become even more challenging to answer when blood progenitors are derived in vitro upon the differentiation of embryonic stem cells (ESCs) or induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Similarly, the cellular origin of these blood progenitors can be controversial. Are all blood cells, including the primitive wave, derived from hemogenic endothelium? Is the hemangioblast an in vitro artefact or is this mesoderm entity also present in the developing embryo? Here we discuss the latest findings and propose some consensus relating to these controversial issues.
CitationOf hemangioblast, hemogenic endothelium and primitive versus definitive hematopoiesis. 2016 Exp Hematol
- Application of small molecule CHIR99021 leads to the loss of hemangioblast progenitor and increased hematopoiesis of human pluripotent stem cells.
- Authors: Galat Y, Elcheva I, Dambaeva S, Katukurundage D, Beaman K, Iannaccone PM, Galat V
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Early Human Hemogenic Endothelium Generates Primitive and Definitive Hematopoiesis In Vitro.
- Authors: Garcia-Alegria E, Menegatti S, Fadlullah MZH, Menendez P, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 13
- ETV2 expression marks blood and endothelium precursors, including hemogenic endothelium, at the onset of blood development.
- Authors: Wareing S, Eliades A, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Discordant developmental waves of angioblasts and hemangioblasts in the early gastrulating mouse embryo.
- Authors: Furuta C, Ema H, Takayanagi S, Ogaeri T, Okamura D, Matsui Y, Nakauchi H
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Efficient and simultaneous generation of hematopoietic and vascular progenitors from human induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Authors: Park TS, Zimmerlin L, Zambidis ET
- Issue date: 2013 Jan