AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, General Hospital of Attica 'KAT', University of Athens, Athens, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe utilisation of robotic-assisted techniques is a novelty in the field of general surgery. Our intention was to examine the up to date available literature on the cost assessment of robotic surgery of diverse operations in general surgery. PubMed and Scopus databases were searched in a systematic way to retrieve the included studies in our review. Thirty-one studies were retrieved, referring on a vast range of surgical operations. The mean cost for robotic, open and laparoscopic ranged from 2539 to 57,002, 7888 to 16,851 and 1799 to 50,408 Euros, respectively. The mean operative charges ranged from 273.74 to 13,670 Euros. More specifically, for the robotic and laparoscopic gastric fundoplication, the cost ranged from 1534 to 2257 and 657 to 763 Euros, respectively. For the robotic and laparoscopic colectomy, it ranged from 3739 to 17,080 and 3109 to 33,865 Euros, respectively. For the robotic and laparoscopic cholecystectomy, ranged from 1163.75 to 1291 and from 273.74 to 1223 Euros, respectively. The mean non-operative costs ranged from 900 to 48,796 from 8347 to 8800 and from 870 to 42,055 Euros, for robotic, open and laparoscopic technique, respectively. Conversions to laparotomy were present in 34/18,620 (0.18%) cases of laparoscopic and in 22/1488 (1.5%) cases of robotic technique. Duration of surgery robotic, open and laparoscopic ranged from 54.6 to 328.7, 129 to 234, and from 50.2 to 260 min, respectively. The present evidence reveals that robotic surgery, under specific conditions, has the potential to become cost-effective. Large number of cases, presence of industry competition and multidisciplinary team utilisation are some of the factors that could make more reasonable and cost-effective the robotic-assisted technique.
CitationRobotics in general surgery: a systematic cost assessment. 2016, J Minim Access Surg
JournalJournal of Minimal Access Surgery
- Cost assessment of robotics in gynecologic surgery: a systematic review.
- Authors: Iavazzo C, Papadopoulou EK, Gkegkes ID
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Robotic hysterectomy versus conventional laparoscopic hysterectomy: outcome and cost analyses of a matched case-control study.
- Authors: Sarlos D, Kots L, Stevanovic N, Schaer G
- Issue date: 2010 May
- [Robotic fundoplication for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease].
- Authors: Costi R, Himpens J, Iusco D, Sarli L, Violi V, Roncoroni L, Cadière GB
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- Paediatric robotic surgery in clinical practice: a cost analysis.
- Authors: Anderberg M, Kockum CC, Arnbjornsson E
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Getting started with robotics in general surgery with cholecystectomy: the Canadian experience.
- Authors: Jayaraman S, Davies W, Schlachta CM
- Issue date: 2009 Oct