Affective alterations in patients with Cushing's syndrome in remission are associated with decreased BDNF and cortisone levels.
AffiliationEndocrinology/Medicine DepartmentHospital Sant Pau, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red de Enfermedades Raras (CIBERER, Unidad 747), IIB-Sant Pau, ISCIII and Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB), Barcelona
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAffective alterations and poorer quality of life often persist in patients with Cushing's syndrome (CS) in remission. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) regulates the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA) and is highly expressed in brain areas controlling mood and response to stress. Our aims were to assess affective alterations after long-term remission of CS and evaluate whether they are associated with serum BDNF, salivary cortisol (SalF) and/or cortisone (SalE) concentrations.
CitationAffective alterations in patients with Cushing's syndrome in remission are associated with decreased BDNF and cortisone levels. 2017, 176 (2):221-231 Eur J Endocrinol
JournalEuropean Journal of Endocrinology
- Salivary cortisol and cortisone responses to short-term psychological stress challenge in late adolescent and young women with different hyperandrogenic states.
- Authors: Mezzullo M, Fanelli F, Di Dalmazi G, Fazzini A, Ibarra-Gasparini D, Mastroroberto M, Guidi J, Morselli-Labate AM, Pasquali R, Pagotto U, Gambineri A
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Impaired quality of life in patients in long-term remission of Cushing's syndrome of both adrenal and pituitary origin: a remaining effect of long-standing hypercortisolism?
- Authors: Wagenmakers MA, Netea-Maier RT, Prins JB, Dekkers T, den Heijer M, Hermus AR
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Worse Health-Related Quality of Life at long-term follow-up in patients with Cushing's disease than patients with cortisol producing adenoma. Data from the ERCUSYN.
- Authors: Valassi E, Feelders R, Maiter D, Chanson P, Yaneva M, Reincke M, Krsek M, Tóth M, Webb SM, Santos A, Paiva I, Komerdus I, Droste M, Tabarin A, Strasburger CJ, Franz H, Trainer PJ, Newell-Price J, Wass JA, Papakokkinou E, Ragnarsson O, ERCUSYN Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Performance of salivary cortisol in the diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome, adrenal incidentaloma, and adrenal insufficiency.
- Authors: Ceccato F, Barbot M, Zilio M, Ferasin S, Occhi G, Daniele A, Mazzocut S, Iacobone M, Betterle C, Mantero F, Scaroni C
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Brain metabolite abnormalities in ventromedial prefrontal cortex are related to duration of hypercortisolism and anxiety in patients with Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Crespo I, Santos A, Gómez-Ansón B, López-Mourelo O, Pires P, Vives-Gilabert Y, Webb SM, Resmini E
- Issue date: 2016 Sep