Leong, Hui Sun
Chester, Christopher P E
Rothwell, Dominic G
Miller, Crispin J
Simpson, Kathryn L
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, Manchester M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) is characterized by prevalent circulating tumour cells (CTCs), early metastasis and poor prognosis. We show that SCLC patients (37/38) have rare CTC subpopulations co-expressing vascular endothelial-cadherin (VE-cadherin) and cytokeratins consistent with vasculogenic mimicry (VM), a process whereby tumour cells form 'endothelial-like' vessels. Single-cell genomic analysis reveals characteristic SCLC genomic changes in both VE-cadherin-positive and -negative CTCs. Higher levels of VM are associated with worse overall survival in 41 limited-stage patients' biopsies (P<0.025). VM vessels are also observed in 9/10 CTC patient-derived explants (CDX), where molecular analysis of fractionated VE-cadherin-positive cells uncovered copy-number alterations and mutated TP53, confirming human tumour origin. VE-cadherin is required for VM in NCI-H446 SCLC xenografts, where VM decreases tumour latency and, despite increased cisplatin intra-tumour delivery, decreases cisplatin efficacy. The functional significance of VM in SCLC suggests VM regulation may provide new targets for therapeutic intervention.
CitationVasculogenic mimicry in small cell lung cancer. 2016, 7:13322 Nat Commun
- Subpopulations of uPAR+ contribute to vasculogenic mimicry and metastasis in large cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Li Y, Sun B, Zhao X, Zhang D, Wang X, Zhu D, Yang Z, Qiu Z, Ban X
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Expressions of KAI1 and E-cadherin in nonsmall cell lung cancer and their correlation with vasculogenic mimicry.
- Authors: Ci H, Xu Z, Xu J, Wang Y, Wu S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- HIF-2α promotes the formation of vasculogenic mimicry in pancreatic cancer by regulating the binding of Twist1 to the VE-cadherin promoter.
- Authors: Yang J, Zhu DM, Zhou XG, Yin N, Zhang Y, Zhang ZX, Li DC, Zhou J
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 18
- Anti-angiogenic treatment promotes triple-negative breast cancer invasion via vasculogenic mimicry.
- Authors: Sun H, Zhang D, Yao Z, Lin X, Liu J, Gu Q, Dong X, Liu F, Wang Y, Yao N, Cheng S, Li L, Sun S
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 3
- Small cell lung cancer: Circulating tumor cells of extended stage patients express a mesenchymal-epithelial transition phenotype.
- Authors: Hamilton G, Hochmair M, Rath B, Klameth L, Zeillinger R
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 3