Discovery of potent inhibitors of the lysophospholipase autotaxin.
Stowell, Alexandra I J
Jordan, Allan M
Hamilton, Niall M
Hitchin, James R
AffiliationCancer Research Technology, Discovery Laboratories, Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge CB22 3AT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe autotoxin-lysophosphatidic acid (ATX-LPA) axis has been implicated in several disease conditions including inflammation, fibrosis and cancer. This makes ATX an attractive drug target and its inhibition may lead to useful therapeutic agents. Through a high throughput screen (HTS) we identified a series of small molecule inhibitors of ATX which have subsequently been optimized for potency, selectivity and developability properties. This has delivered drug-like compounds such as 9v (CRT0273750) which modulate LPA levels in plasma and are suitable for in vivo studies. X-ray crystallography has revealed that these compounds have an unexpected binding mode in that they do not interact with the active site zinc ions but instead occupy the hydrophobic LPC pocket extending from the active of ATX together with the occupying the LPA 'exit' channel.
CitationDiscovery of potent inhibitors of the lysophospholipase autotaxin. 2016 Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett.
JournalBioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters
- Discovery, Structure-Activity Relationship, and Binding Mode of an Imidazo[1,2-a]pyridine Series of Autotaxin Inhibitors.
- Authors: Joncour A, Desroy N, Housseman C, Bock X, Bienvenu N, Cherel L, Labeguere V, Peixoto C, Annoot D, Lepissier L, Heiermann J, Hengeveld WJ, Pilzak G, Monjardet A, Wakselman E, Roncoroni V, Le Tallec S, Galien R, David C, Vandervoort N, Christophe T, Conrath K, Jans M, Wohlkonig A, Soror S, Steyaert J, Touitou R, Fleury D, Vercheval L, Mollat P, Triballeau N, van der Aar E, Brys R, Heckmann B
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 14
- Discovery and synthetic optimization of a novel scaffold for hydrophobic tunnel-targeted autotaxin inhibition.
- Authors: Ragle LE, Palanisamy DJ, Joe MJ, Stein RS, Norman DD, Tigyi G, Baker DL, Parrill AL
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 1
- Hits of a high-throughput screen identify the hydrophobic pocket of autotaxin/lysophospholipase D as an inhibitory surface.
- Authors: Fells JI, Lee SC, Fujiwara Y, Norman DD, Lim KG, Tsukahara R, Liu J, Patil R, Miller DD, Kirby RJ, Nelson S, Seibel W, Papoian R, Parrill AL, Baker DL, Bittman R, Tigyi G
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Autotaxin inhibitors: a patent review (2012-2016).
- Authors: Nikolaou A, Kokotou MG, Limnios D, Psarra A, Kokotos G
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Autotaxin activity increases locally following lung injury, but is not required for pulmonary lysophosphatidic acid production or fibrosis.
- Authors: Black KE, Berdyshev E, Bain G, Castelino FV, Shea BS, Probst CK, Fontaine BA, Bronova I, Goulet L, Lagares D, Ahluwalia N, Knipe RS, Natarajan V, Tager AM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun