Human TRIB2 oscillates during the cell cycle and promotes ubiquitination and degradation of CDC25C.
AffiliationLeukemia Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Sciences, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTribbles homolog 2 (TRIB2) is a member of the mammalian Tribbles family of serine/threonine pseudokinases (TRIB1-3). Studies of TRIB2 indicate that many of the molecular interactions between the single Drosophila Tribbles (Trbl) protein and interacting partners are evolutionary conserved. In this study, we examined the relationship between TRIB2 and cell division cycle 25 (CDC25) family of dual-specificity protein phosphatases (mammalian homologues of Drosophila String), which are key physiological cell cycle regulators. Using co-immunoprecipitation we demonstrate that TRIB2 interacts with CDC25B and CDC25C selectively. Forced overexpression of TRIB2 caused a marked decrease in total CDC25C protein levels. Following inhibition of the proteasome, CDC25C was stabilized in the nuclear compartment. This implicates TRIB2 as a regulator of nuclear CDC25C turnover. In complementary ubiquitination assays, we show that TRIB2-mediated degradation of CDC25C is associated with lysine-48-linked CDC25C polyubiquitination driven by the TRIB2 kinase-like domain. A cell cycle associated role for TRIB2 is further supported by the cell cycle regulated expression of TRIB2 protein levels. Our findings reveal mitotic CDC25C as a new target of TRIB2 that is degraded via the ubiquitin proteasome system. Inappropriate CDC25C regulation could mechanistically underlie TRIB2 mediated regulation of cellular proliferation in neoplastic cells.
CitationHuman TRIB2 oscillates during the cell cycle and promotes ubiquitination and degradation of CDC25C. 2016, 17(9):1378 Int J Mol Sci
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
- TRIB2 and the ubiquitin proteasome system in cancer.
- Authors: Salomè M, Campos J, Keeshan K
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Covalent inhibitors of EGFR family protein kinases induce degradation of human Tribbles 2 (TRIB2) pseudokinase in cancer cells.
- Authors: Foulkes DM, Byrne DP, Yeung W, Shrestha S, Bailey FP, Ferries S, Eyers CE, Keeshan K, Wells C, Drewry DH, Zuercher WJ, Kannan N, Eyers PA
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 25
- Tribbles-Related Protein Family Members as Regulators or Substrates of the Ubiquitin-Proteasome System in Cancer Development.
- Authors: Sakai S, Miyajima C, Uchida C, Itoh Y, Hayashi H, Inoue Y
- Issue date: 2016
- p14ARF triggers G2 arrest through ERK-mediated Cdc25C phosphorylation, ubiquitination and proteasomal degradation.
- Authors: Eymin B, Claverie P, Salon C, Brambilla C, Brambilla E, Gazzeri S
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Impaired phosphorylation and ubiquitination by p70 S6 kinase (p70S6K) and Smad ubiquitination regulatory factor 1 (Smurf1) promote tribbles homolog 2 (TRIB2) stability and carcinogenic property in liver cancer.
- Authors: Wang J, Zhang Y, Weng W, Qiao Y, Ma L, Xiao W, Yu Y, Pan Q, Sun F
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 22