AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, M20 4BX Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic cancer is a disease that carries a poor prognosis. Accurate tissue diagnosis is required. Tumours contain a high content of stromal tissue and therefore biopsies may be inconclusive. Circulating tumour cells (CTCs) have been investigated as a potential "liquid biopsy" in several malignancies and have proven to be of prognostic value in breast, prostate and colorectal cancers. They have been detected in patients with localised and metastatic pancreatic cancer with sensitivities ranging from 38%-100% using a variety of platforms. Circulating tumour DNA (ctDNA) has also been detected in pancreas cancer with a sensitivity ranging from 26%-100% in studies across different platforms and using different genetic markers. However, there is no clear consensus on which platform is the most effective for detection, nor which genetic markers are the most useful to use. Potential roles of liquid biopsies include diagnosis, screening, guiding therapies and prognosis. The presence of CTCs or ctDNA has been shown to be of prognostic value both at diagnosis and after treatment in patients with pancreatic cancer. However, more prospective studies are required before this promising technology is ready for adoption into routine clinical practice.
CitationPancreatic cancer: are "liquid biopsies" ready for prime-time? 2016, 22 (32):7175-85 World J Gastroenterol
JournalWorld Journal of Gastroenterology
- Circulating Tumor Cells and Circulating Tumor DNA Provide New Insights into Pancreatic Cancer.
- Authors: Gao Y, Zhu Y, Yuan Z
- Issue date: 2016
- Clinical applications of circulating tumor DNA and circulating tumor cells in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Riva F, Dronov OI, Khomenko DI, Huguet F, Louvet C, Mariani P, Stern MH, Lantz O, Proudhon C, Pierga JY, Bidard FC
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Circulating tumor DNA as a liquid biopsy target for detection of pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Takai E, Yachida S
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 14
- Diagnostic value of CA19.9, circulating tumour DNA and circulating tumour cells in patients with solid pancreatic tumours.
- Authors: Sefrioui D, Blanchard F, Toure E, Basile P, Beaussire L, Dolfus C, Perdrix A, Paresy M, Antonietti M, Iwanicki-Caron I, Alhameedi R, Lecleire S, Gangloff A, Schwarz L, Clatot F, Tuech JJ, Frébourg T, Jardin F, Sabourin JC, Sarafan-Vasseur N, Michel P, Di Fiore F
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 26
- A headlight on liquid biopsies: a challenging tool for breast cancer management.
- Authors: Massihnia D, Perez A, Bazan V, Bronte G, Castiglia M, Fanale D, Barraco N, Cangemi A, Di Piazza F, Calò V, Rizzo S, Cicero G, Pantuso G, Russo A
- Issue date: 2016 Apr