Regulation of osteoblast development by Bcl-2-associated athanogene-1 (BAG-1).
Papadakis, Emmanouil S
Cutress, Ramsey I
Townsend, Paul A
Oreffo, Richard O C
Tare, Rahul S
AffiliationCentre for Human Development, Stem Cells and Regeneration, Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBCL-2-associated athanogene-1 (BAG-1) is expressed by osteoblast-lineage cells; early embryonic lethality in Bag-1 null mice, however, has limited the investigation of BAG-1 function in osteoblast development. In the present study, bone morphogenetic protein-2/BMP-2-directed osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells (BMSCs) of Bag-1(+/-) (heterozygous) female mice was decreased significantly. Genes crucial for osteogenic differentiation, bone matrix formation and mineralisation were expressed at significantly lower levels in cultures of Bag-1(+/-) BMSCs supplemented with BMP-2, while genes with roles in inhibition of BMP-2-directed osteoblastogenesis were significantly upregulated. 17-β-estradiol (E2) enhanced responsiveness of BMSCs of wild-type and Bag-1(+/-) mice to BMP-2, and promoted robust BMP-2-stimulated osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs. BAG-1 can modulate cellular responses to E2 by regulating the establishment of functional estrogen receptors (ERs), crucially, via its interaction with heat shock proteins (HSC70/HSP70). Inhibition of BAG-1 binding to HSC70 by the small-molecule chemical inhibitor, Thioflavin-S, and a short peptide derived from the C-terminal BAG domain, which mediates binding with the ATPase domain of HSC70, resulted in significant downregulation of E2/ER-facilitated BMP-2-directed osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs. These studies demonstrate for the first time the significance of BAG-1-mediated protein-protein interactions, specifically, BAG-1-regulated activation of ER by HSC70, in modulation of E2-facilitated BMP-2-directed osteoblast development.
CitationRegulation of osteoblast development by Bcl-2-associated athanogene-1 (BAG-1). 2016, 6:33504 Sci Rep
- Thioflavin S (NSC71948) interferes with Bcl-2-associated athanogene (BAG-1)-mediated protein-protein interactions.
- Authors: Sharp A, Crabb SJ, Johnson PW, Hague A, Cutress R, Townsend PA, Ganesan A, Packham G
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Bone morphogenetic protein receptor in the osteogenic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells.
- Authors: Wang A, Ding X, Sheng S, Yao Z
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Estrogen and glucocorticoid regulate osteoblast differentiation through the interaction of bone morphogenetic protein-2 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in C2C12 cells.
- Authors: Matsumoto Y, Otsuka F, Takano M, Mukai T, Yamanaka R, Takeda M, Miyoshi T, Inagaki K, Sada KE, Makino H
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 30
- BMP-2 Derived Peptide and Dexamethasone Incorporated Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles for Enhanced Osteogenic Differentiation of Bone Mesenchymal Stem Cells.
- Authors: Zhou X, Feng W, Qiu K, Chen L, Wang W, Nie W, Mo X, He C
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 29
- RGD and BMP-2 mimetic peptide crosstalk enhances osteogenic commitment of human bone marrow stem cells.
- Authors: Bilem I, Chevallier P, Plawinski L, Sone ED, Durrieu MC, Laroche G
- Issue date: 2016 May