Grigoris Lambrakis (1912-1963) - a Greek obstetrician and world renowned activist.
AffiliationGynaecological Oncology Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrigoris Lambrakis was a Greek politician, doctor, athlete, and faculty member of the Medical School of Athens University. As an athlete, Lambrakis held the Greek record for long jump for twenty-three years and he also won several gold medals in the Balkan Athletic Games. Lambrakis received an excellent medical education. As lecturer at the University of Athens, Lambrakis became a pioneer of Gynecological Endocrinology. His philanthropy was always evident during his medical career, but he also consistently attended international pacifist meetings and demonstrations. His medical work, and his performance as lecturer of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, have been neglected, if not overshadowed, by his political career. Lambrakis is recognized worldwide as a martyr for peace. The aim in this essay is to present his life, and especially to elucidate his medical achievements.
CitationGrigoris Lambrakis (1912-1963) - a Greek obstetrician and world renowned activist. 2016, 14 (1):177-84 Acta Med Hist Adriat
JournalActa Medico-Historica Adriatica
- Nikolaos Louros (1898-1986): The Reformer of Greek Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the 20th Century.
- Authors: Manidaki AG, Tsiligianni I, Trompoukis C
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- John Whitridge Williams' contribution to democracy abroad. (The fetus treated as a patient).
- Authors: Vasicka A
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Konstantinos Logothetopoulos (1878-1961): the controversial life of an eminent gynaecologist.
- Authors: Iavazzo C, Gkegkes ID, Gkegke XE, Karamanou M, Androutsos G
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- [Dr. Svetislav Sp. Barjaktarović--30 years later].
- Authors: Jovanović-Simić J, Pavlović B
- Issue date: 2002 Sep-Oct