Is monitoring of plasma 5-fluorouracil levels in metastatic / advanced colorectal cancer clinically effective? A systematic review.
Saunders, Mark P
Uthman, Olalekan A
AffiliationDivision of Health Sciences, Medical School, University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill Campus, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPharmacokinetic guided dosing of 5-fluorouracil chemotherapies to bring plasma 5-fluorouracil into a desired therapeutic range may lead to fewer side effects and better patient outcomes. High performance liquid chromatography and a high throughput nanoparticle immunoassay (My5-FU) have been used in conjunction with treatment algorithms to guide dosing. The objective of this study was to assess accuracy, clinical effectiveness and safety of plasma 5-fluorouracil guided dose regimen(s) versus standard regimens based on body surface area in colorectal cancer.
CitationIs monitoring of plasma 5-fluorouracil levels in metastatic / advanced colorectal cancer clinically effective? A systematic review. 2016, 16:523 BMC Cancer
- Fluorouracil plasma monitoring: systematic review and economic evaluation of the My5-FU assay for guiding dose adjustment in patients receiving fluorouracil chemotherapy by continuous infusion.
- Authors: Freeman K, Connock M, Cummins E, Gurung T, Taylor-Phillips S, Court R, Saunders M, Clarke A, Sutcliffe P
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Individual fluorouracil dose adjustment based on pharmacokinetic follow-up compared with conventional dosage: results of a multicenter randomized trial of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Gamelin E, Delva R, Jacob J, Merrouche Y, Raoul JL, Pezet D, Dorval E, Piot G, Morel A, Boisdron-Celle M
- Issue date: 2008 May 1
- Individual fluorouracil dose adjustment in FOLFOX based on pharmacokinetic follow-up compared with conventional body-area-surface dosing: a phase II, proof-of-concept study.
- Authors: Capitain O, Asevoaia A, Boisdron-Celle M, Poirier AL, Morel A, Gamelin E
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Personalized dosing via pharmacokinetic monitoring of 5-fluorouracil might reduce toxicity in early- or late-stage colorectal cancer patients treated with infusional 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy regimens.
- Authors: Kline CL, Schiccitano A, Zhu J, Beachler C, Sheikh H, Harvey HA, Mackley HB, McKenna K, Staveley-O'Carroll K, Poritz L, Messaris E, Stewart D, Sivik J, El-Deiry WS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Phase I, pharmacokinetic, and bone marrow drug-level studies of tri-monthly 48-h infusion of high-dose 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with metastatic colorectal cancers.
- Authors: Ho YF, Lu WC, Chen RR, Cheng AL, Yeh KH
- Issue date: 2011 Mar