AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe standard treatment for muscle invasive bladder cancer (MIBC) has been considered to be radical cystectomy (RC) with pelvic lymphadenectomy. However morbidity and impact on quality of life is significant. Radiotherapy has been used in MIBC patients who choose bladder preservation or who are unfit for RC with comparable outcomes. Evidence from some prospective and large retrospective series supports the use of radiotherapy as an attractive alternative option. In this paper we review the evidence and practice of bladder preservation strategies with radiotherapy for muscle invasive bladder cancer.
CitationBladder Preservation for Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer., 2 (2):151-163 Bladder Cancer
- Bladder preservation in the treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC): a review of the literature and a practical approach to therapy.
- Authors: Smith ZL, Christodouleas JP, Keefe SM, Malkowicz SB, Guzzo TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- ICUD-EAU International Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2012: Radical cystectomy and bladder preservation for muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.
- Authors: Gakis G, Efstathiou J, Lerner SP, Cookson MS, Keegan KA, Guru KA, Shipley WU, Heidenreich A, Schoenberg MP, Sagaloswky AI, Soloway MS, Stenzl A, International Consultation on Urologic Disease-European Association of Urology Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2012.
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Selective bladder-sparing protocol consisting of induction low-dose chemoradiotherapy plus partial cystectomy with pelvic lymph node dissection against muscle-invasive bladder cancer: oncological outcomes of the initial 46 patients.
- Authors: Koga F, Kihara K, Yoshida S, Yokoyama M, Saito K, Masuda H, Fujii Y, Kawakami S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Selective bladder preservation with curative intent for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a contemporary review.
- Authors: Koga F, Kihara K
- Issue date: 2012 May
- [Concomitant chemoradiotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: current knowledge, controversies and future directions].
- Authors: Bellefqih S, Khalil J, Mezouri I, ElKacemi H, Kebdani T, Hadadi K, Benjaafar N
- Issue date: 2014 Dec