AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe standard treatment for muscle invasive bladder cancer (MIBC) has been considered to be radical cystectomy (RC) with pelvic lymphadenectomy. However morbidity and impact on quality of life is significant. Radiotherapy has been used in MIBC patients who choose bladder preservation or who are unfit for RC with comparable outcomes. Evidence from some prospective and large retrospective series supports the use of radiotherapy as an attractive alternative option. In this paper we review the evidence and practice of bladder preservation strategies with radiotherapy for muscle invasive bladder cancer.
CitationBladder Preservation for Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer., 2 (2):151-163 Bladder Cancer
- Bladder preservation in the treatment of muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC): a review of the literature and a practical approach to therapy.
- Authors: Smith ZL, Christodouleas JP, Keefe SM, Malkowicz SB, Guzzo TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- ICUD-EAU International Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2012: Radical cystectomy and bladder preservation for muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder.
- Authors: Gakis G, Efstathiou J, Lerner SP, Cookson MS, Keegan KA, Guru KA, Shipley WU, Heidenreich A, Schoenberg MP, Sagaloswky AI, Soloway MS, Stenzl A, International Consultation on Urologic Disease-European Association of Urology Consultation on Bladder Cancer 2012.
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Critical analysis of bladder sparing with trimodal therapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review.
- Authors: Ploussard G, Daneshmand S, Efstathiou JA, Herr HW, James ND, Rödel CM, Shariat SF, Shipley WU, Sternberg CN, Thalmann GN, Kassouf W
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Comparison of Outcomes Between Radical Radiotherapy and Radical Cystectomy in Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer in a Cancer Specialized Unit of a Developing Country.
- Authors: Fiaz S, Ali A, Adnan S, Khalil MAI, Rasheed Y, Abu Bakar M, Ahmad Cheema Z, Mir K
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 26
- Selective tetramodal bladder-preservation therapy, incorporating induction chemoradiotherapy and consolidative partial cystectomy with pelvic lymph node dissection for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: oncological and functional outcomes of 107 patients.
- Authors: Kijima T, Tanaka H, Koga F, Masuda H, Yoshida S, Yokoyama M, Ishioka J, Matsuoka Y, Saito K, Kihara K, Fujii Y
- Issue date: 2019 Aug