Identification and Targeting of Long-Term Tumor-Propagating Cells in Small Cell Lung Cancer.
Tran, Kim Q
Morrow, Christopher J
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationDepartment of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) is a neuroendocrine lung cancer characterized by fast growth, early dissemination, and rapid resistance to chemotherapy. We identified a population of long-term tumor-propagating cells (TPCs) in a mouse model of SCLC. This population, marked by high levels of EpCAM and CD24, is also prevalent in human primary SCLC tumors. Murine SCLC TPCs are numerous and highly proliferative but not intrinsically chemoresistant, indicating that not all clinical features of SCLC are linked to TPCs. SCLC TPCs possess a distinct transcriptional profile compared to non-TPCs, including elevated MYC activity. Genetic and pharmacological inhibition of MYC in SCLC cells to non-TPC levels inhibits long-term propagation but not short-term growth. These studies identify a highly tumorigenic population of SCLC cells in mouse models, cell lines, and patient tumors and a means to target them in this most fatal form of lung cancer.
CitationIdentification and Targeting of Long-Term Tumor-Propagating Cells in Small Cell Lung Cancer. 2016, 16 (3):644-56 Cell Rep
- Genetic and clonal dissection of murine small cell lung carcinoma progression by genome sequencing.
- Authors: McFadden DG, Papagiannakopoulos T, Taylor-Weiner A, Stewart C, Carter SL, Cibulskis K, Bhutkar A, McKenna A, Dooley A, Vernon A, Sougnez C, Malstrom S, Heimann M, Park J, Chen F, Farago AF, Dayton T, Shefler E, Gabriel S, Getz G, Jacks T
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 13
- Involvement of intermediate filament nestin in cell growth of small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Takakuwa O, Maeno K, Kunii E, Ozasa H, Hijikata H, Uemura T, Kasai D, Ohkubo H, Miyazaki M, Oguri T, Niimi A
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- MYC-Driven Small-Cell Lung Cancer is Metabolically Distinct and Vulnerable to Arginine Depletion.
- Authors: Chalishazar MD, Wait SJ, Huang F, Ireland AS, Mukhopadhyay A, Lee Y, Schuman SS, Guthrie MR, Berrett KC, Vahrenkamp JM, Hu Z, Kudla M, Modzelewska K, Wang G, Ingolia NT, Gertz J, Lum DH, Cosulich SC, Bomalaski JS, DeBerardinis RJ, Oliver TG
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 15
- The DNA methylation landscape of small cell lung cancer suggests a differentiation defect of neuroendocrine cells.
- Authors: Kalari S, Jung M, Kernstine KH, Takahashi T, Pfeifer GP
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 25
- Targeting CREB Pathway Suppresses Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Xia Y, Zhan C, Feng M, Leblanc M, Ke E, Yeddula N, Verma IM
- Issue date: 2018 May