AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom. Amaya.Viros@cruk.manchester.ac.ukMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, United KingdomMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNew data show that as dermal fibroblasts grow old, they increase their secretion of the WNT antagonist sFRP2 to drive melanoma cell metastasis. sFRP2 suppresses β-catenin and MITF signaling in melanoma cells, downregulating the redox regulator APE1, making melanoma cells more sensitive to oxidative stress and driving resistance to BRAF inhibitors. Thus, the aging microenvironment in elderly patient skin activates a signaling pathway that drives more aggressive melanoma cell behavior. Cancer Discov; 6(6); 581-3. ©2016 AACR.
CitationSo You Can Teach Old Fibroblasts New Tricks. 2016, 6 (6):581-3 Cancer Discov
- sFRP2 in the aged microenvironment drives melanoma metastasis and therapy resistance.
- Authors: Kaur A, Webster MR, Marchbank K, Behera R, Ndoye A, Kugel CH 3rd, Dang VM, Appleton J, O'Connell MP, Cheng P, Valiga AA, Morissette R, McDonnell NB, Ferrucci L, Kossenkov AV, Meeth K, Tang HY, Yin X, Wood WH 3rd, Lehrmann E, Becker KG, Flaherty KT, Frederick DT, Wargo JA, Cooper ZA, Tetzlaff MT, Hudgens C, Aird KM, Zhang R, Xu X, Liu Q, Bartlett E, Karakousis G, Eroglu Z, Lo RS, Chan M, Menzies AM, Long GV, Johnson DB, Sosman J, Schilling B, Schadendorf D, Speicher DW, Bosenberg M, Ribas A, Weeraratna AT
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 14
- Fibroblast-induced switching to the mesenchymal-like phenotype and PI3K/mTOR signaling protects melanoma cells from BRAF inhibitors.
- Authors: Seip K, Fleten KG, Barkovskaya A, Nygaard V, Haugen MH, Engesæter BØ, Mælandsmo GM, Prasmickaite L
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 12
- A Nexus Consisting of Beta-Catenin and Stat3 Attenuates BRAF Inhibitor Efficacy and Mediates Acquired Resistance to Vemurafenib.
- Authors: Sinnberg T, Makino E, Krueger MA, Velic A, Macek B, Rothbauer U, Groll N, Pötz O, Czemmel S, Niessner H, Meier F, Ikenberg K, Garbe C, Schittek B
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Wnt/β-catenin signaling inhibitor ICG-001 enhances pigmentation of cultured melanoma cells.
- Authors: Kim KI, Jeong DS, Jung EC, Lee JH, Kim CD, Yoon TJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Cooperative antiproliferative signaling by aspirin and indole-3-carbinol targets microphthalmia-associated transcription factor gene expression and promoter activity in human melanoma cells.
- Authors: Poindexter KM, Matthew S, Aronchik I, Firestone GL
- Issue date: 2016 Apr