AuthorsMcPartlin, Andrew J
Kershaw, Lucy E
van As, N
van Herk, Marcel
van der Voort van Zyp, J
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust and Manchester Cancer Research Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDose escalated radiotherapy improves outcomes for men with prostate cancer. A plateau for benefit from dose escalation using EBRT may not have been reached for some patients with higher risk disease. The use of increasingly conformal techniques, such as step and shoot IMRT or more recently VMAT, has allowed treatment intensification to be achieved whilst minimising associated increases in toxicity to surrounding normal structures. To support further safe dose escalation, the uncertainties in the treatment target position will need be minimised using optimal planning and image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT). In particular the increasing usage of profoundly hypo-fractionated stereotactic therapy is predicated on the ability to confidently direct treatment precisely to the intended target for the duration of each treatment. This article reviews published studies on the influences of varies types of motion on daily prostate position and how these may be mitigated to improve IGRT in future. In particular the role that MRI has played in the generation of data is discussed and the potential role of the MR-Linac in next-generation IGRT is discussed.
CitationMRI-guided prostate adaptive radiotherapy - A systematic review. 2016: Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- A Dosimetric Comparison between Conventional Fractionated and Hypofractionated Image-guided Radiation Therapies for Localized Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Li M, Li GF, Hou XY, Gao H, Xu YG, Zhao T
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 20
- Image-guided intensity-modulated radiotherapy of prostate cancer: Analysis of interfractional errors and acute toxicity.
- Authors: Rudat V, Nour A, Hammoud M, Alaradi A, Mohammed A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Improved clinical outcomes with high-dose image guided radiotherapy compared with non-IGRT for the treatment of clinically localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Zelefsky MJ, Kollmeier M, Cox B, Fidaleo A, Sperling D, Pei X, Carver B, Coleman J, Lovelock M, Hunt M
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- MR-guidance--a clinical study to evaluate a shuttle- based MR-linac connection to provide MR-guided radiotherapy.
- Authors: Bostel T, Nicolay NH, Grossmann JG, Mohr A, Delorme S, Echner G, Häring P, Debus J, Sterzing F
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 9
- Scanned ion beam therapy for prostate carcinoma: Comparison of single plan treatment and daily plan-adapted treatment.
- Authors: Hild S, Graeff C, Rucinski A, Zink K, Habl G, Durante M, Herfarth K, Bert C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb