From meiosis to mitosis: the sperm centrosome defines the kinetics of spindle assembly after fertilization.
AffiliationCell and Developmental Biology Programme, Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology, Doctor Aiguader, 88, 08003 Barcelona
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBipolar spindle assembly in the vertebrate oocyte relies on a self-organization chromosome-dependent pathway. Upon fertilization the male gamete provides a centrosome and the first and subsequent embryonic divisions occur in the presence of duplicated centrosomes that act as dominant microtubule organizing centres (MTOCs).The transition from meiosis to embryonic mitosis involves a necessary adaptation to integrate the dominant chromosome-dependent pathway with the centrosomes to form the bipolar spindle.Here we took advantage of the Xenopus laevis egg extract system to mimic in vitro the assembly of the first embryonic spindle and investigate the respective contribution of the centrosome and the chromosome-dependent pathway to the kinetics of the spindle bipolarization. We found that centrosomes control the transition from the meiotic to the mitotic spindle assembly mechanism. By defining the kinetics of spindle bipolarization, the centrosomes ensure their own positioning to each spindle pole and thereby their essential correct inheritance to the two first daughter cells of the embryo for the development of a healthy organism.
CitationFrom meiosis to mitosis: the sperm centrosome defines the kinetics of spindle assembly after fertilization. 2016: J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Assays to Study Mitotic Centrosome and Spindle Pole Assembly and Regulation.
- Authors: Joukov V, Walter JC, De Nicolo A
- Issue date: 2016
- The transition from meiotic to mitotic spindle assembly is gradual during early mammalian development.
- Authors: Courtois A, Schuh M, Ellenberg J, Hiiragi T
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 6
- Centrosome inheritance after fertilization and nuclear transfer in mammals.
- Authors: Sun QY, Schatten H
- Issue date: 2007
- Mitosis in the human embryo: the vital role of the sperm centrosome (centriole).
- Authors: Sathananthan AH
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Shifting meiotic to mitotic spindle assembly in oocytes disrupts chromosome alignment.
- Authors: Bennabi I, Quéguiner I, Kolano A, Boudier T, Mailly P, Verlhac MH, Terret ME
- Issue date: 2018 Feb