Clinical experience with radium-223 in the treatment of patients with advanced castrate-resistant prostate cancer and symptomatic bone metastases.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wimslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe treatment of metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) has grown over the past decade. The majority of patients develop bone metastases, which pose a significant burden on morbidity and mortality, especially skeletal-related events. Whilst demonstrating a favourable safety profile and improving symptoms, radiopharmaceuticals have until recently failed to show a survival benefit. However, since the large phase III randomized ALSYMPCA trial, the calcium mimetic properties of radium-223 (Ra223) have improved patients' quality of life and improved survival whilst keeping toxicities to a minimum. This review article summarizes the clinical data including our real life experience on the usage of the alpha emitter Ra223 in mCRPC, paying particular attention to how clinicians should best monitor response.
CitationClinical experience with radium-223 in the treatment of patients with advanced castrate-resistant prostate cancer and symptomatic bone metastases. 2016, 8 (3):175-80 Ther Adv Urol
JournalTherapeutic Advances in Urology
- Radium-223 for the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: El-Amm J, Aragon-Ching JB
- Issue date: 2015
- Radionuclide Therapies in Prostate Cancer: Integrating Radium-223 in the Treatment of Patients With Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Nilsson S
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Effect of radium-223 dichloride on symptomatic skeletal events in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer and bone metastases: results from a phase 3, double-blind, randomised trial.
- Authors: Sartor O, Coleman R, Nilsson S, Heinrich D, Helle SI, O'Sullivan JM, Fosså SD, Chodacki A, Wiechno P, Logue J, Widmark A, Johannessen DC, Hoskin P, James ND, Solberg A, Syndikus I, Vogelzang NJ, O'Bryan-Tear CG, Shan M, Bruland ØS, Parker C
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Clinical benefits of alpharadin in castrate-chemotherapy-resistant prostate cancer: case report and literature review.
- Authors: Croke J, Leung E, Segal R, Malone S
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 1
- Three-year Safety of Radium-223 Dichloride in Patients with Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer and Symptomatic Bone Metastases from Phase 3 Randomized Alpharadin in Symptomatic Prostate Cancer Trial.
- Authors: Parker CC, Coleman RE, Sartor O, Vogelzang NJ, Bottomley D, Heinrich D, Helle SI, O'Sullivan JM, Fosså SD, Chodacki A, Wiechno P, Logue J, Seke M, Widmark A, Johannessen DC, Hoskin P, James ND, Solberg A, Syndikus I, Kliment J, Wedel S, Boehmer S, Dall'Oglio M, Franzén L, Bruland ØS, Petrenciuc O, Staudacher K, Li R, Nilsson S
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 10