Proteomic analysis of Rac1 signaling regulation by guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
AffiliationCell Signaling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester , Manchester , UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe small GTPase Rac1 is implicated in various cellular processes that are essential for normal cell function. Deregulation of Rac1 signaling has also been linked to a number of diseases, including cancer. The diversity of Rac1 functioning in cells is mainly attributed to its ability to bind to a multitude of downstream effectors following activation by Guanine nucleotide Exchange Factors (GEFs). Despite the identification of a large number of Rac1 binding partners, factors influencing downstream specificity are poorly defined, thus hindering the detailed understanding of both Rac1's normal and pathological functions. In a recent study, we demonstrated a role for 2 Rac-specific GEFs, Tiam1 and P-Rex1, in mediating Rac1 anti- versus pro-migratory effects, respectively. Importantly, via conducting a quantitative proteomic screen, we identified distinct changes in the Rac1 interactome following activation by either GEF, indicating that these opposing effects are mediated through GEF modulation of the Rac1 interactome. Here, we present the full list of identified Rac1 interactors together with functional annotation of the differentially regulated Rac1 binding partners. In light of this data, we also provide additional insights into known and novel signaling cascades that might account for the GEF-mediated Rac1-driven cellular effects.
CitationProteomic analysis of Rac1 signaling regulation by guanine nucleotide exchange factors. 2016:1-14 Cell Cycle
- GEFs: Dual regulation of Rac1 signaling.
- Authors: Marei H, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 3
- The guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tiam1: a Janus-faced molecule in cellular signaling.
- Authors: Boissier P, Huynh-Do U
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Differential Rac1 signalling by guanine nucleotide exchange factors implicates FLII in regulating Rac1-driven cell migration.
- Authors: Marei H, Carpy A, Woroniuk A, Vennin C, White G, Timpson P, Macek B, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 18
- Trp(56) of rac1 specifies interaction with a subset of guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
- Authors: Gao Y, Xing J, Streuli M, Leto TL, Zheng Y
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 14
- Molecular basis for Rac1 recognition by guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
- Authors: Karnoub AE, Worthylake DK, Rossman KL, Pruitt WM, Campbell SL, Sondek J, Der CJ
- Issue date: 2001 Dec