Staining fission yeast filamentous actin with fluorescent phalloidin conjugates.
AuthorsHagan, Iain M
AffiliationCRUK Cell Division Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Schizosaccharomyces pombe filamentous (F)-actin cytoskeleton drives cell growth, morphogenesis, endocytosis, and cytokinesis. The protocol described here reveals the distribution of F-actin in fixed cells through the use of fluorescently conjugated phalloidin. Simultaneous staining of cell wall landmarks (with calcofluor) and chromatin (with 4',6-diamidino-2-phenylindole, or DAPI) makes this rapid staining procedure highly effective for staging cell cycle progression, monitoring morphogenetic abnormalities, and assessing the impact of environmental and genetic changes on the integrity of the F-actin cytoskeleton.
CitationStaining fission yeast filamentous actin with fluorescent phalloidin conjugates. 2016, 2016 (6):pdb.prot091033 Cold Spring Harb Protoc
JournalCold Spring Harbor Protocols
- Chromatin and Cell Wall Staining of Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Hagan IM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Growth polarity and cytokinesis in fission yeast: the role of the cytoskeleton.
- Authors: Marks J, Hagan IM, Hyams JS
- Issue date: 1986
- Labeling cytoskeletal F-actin with rhodamine phalloidin or fluorescein phalloidin for imaging.
- Authors: Chazotte B
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Filamentous actin in Paramecium cells: mapping by phalloidin affinity labeling in vivo and in vitro.
- Authors: Kersken H, Vilmart-Seuwen J, Momayezi M, Plattner H
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Coumarin-phalloidin: a new actin probe permitting triple immunofluorescence microscopy of the cytoskeleton.
- Authors: Small JV, Zobeley S, Rinnerthaler G, Faulstich H
- Issue date: 1988 Jan