Overcoming resistance to first/second generation epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors and ALK inhibitors in oncogene-addicted advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) activating mutations and anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) gene rearrangement in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) represent the two oncogenic events with an impact on current clinical practice. EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) and crizotinib are the standard of care for the treatment of EGFR mutant and ALK gene rearranged advanced NSCLC patients. Unfortunately, despite initial clinical benefit, acquired resistance to EGFR-TKIs or crizotinib usually develops after an average of 10-12 months of treatment. The aim of this review is to describe the mechanisms of resistance to first/second generation EGFR-TKIs and crizotinib. In particular, we focus on strategies to overcome resistance due to secondary EGFR T790M mutation and mutations of the ALK domain.
CitationOvercoming resistance to first/second generation epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors and ALK inhibitors in oncogene-addicted advanced non-small cell lung cancer. 2016, 8 (3):176-87 Ther Adv Med Oncol
JournalTherapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology
- P-glycoprotein Mediates Ceritinib Resistance in Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-rearranged Non-small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Katayama R, Sakashita T, Yanagitani N, Ninomiya H, Horiike A, Friboulet L, Gainor JF, Motoi N, Dobashi A, Sakata S, Tambo Y, Kitazono S, Sato S, Koike S, John Iafrate A, Mino-Kenudson M, Ishikawa Y, Shaw AT, Engelman JA, Takeuchi K, Nishio M, Fujita N
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Dual ALK and EGFR inhibition targets a mechanism of acquired resistance to the tyrosine kinase inhibitor crizotinib in ALK rearranged lung cancer.
- Authors: Yamaguchi N, Lucena-Araujo AR, Nakayama S, de Figueiredo-Pontes LL, Gonzalez DA, Yasuda H, Kobayashi S, Costa DB
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Resistance to Crizotinib in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) with ALK Rearrangement: Mechanisms, Treatment Strategies and New Targeted Therapies.
- Authors: Casaluce F, Sgambato A, Sacco PC, Palazzolo G, Maione P, Rossi A, Ciardiello F, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2016
- Management of advanced non-small cell lung cancers with known mutations or rearrangements: latest evidence and treatment approaches.
- Authors: Shea M, Costa DB, Rangachari D
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- ALK inhibitors in the treatment of advanced NSCLC.
- Authors: Gridelli C, Peters S, Sgambato A, Casaluce F, Adjei AA, Ciardiello F
- Issue date: 2014 Mar