Oncogenic KRAS regulates tumor cell signaling via stromal reciprocation.
McMahon, Kelly M
Worboys, Jonathan D
Leong, Hui Sun
Norrie, Ida C
Miller, Crispin J
AffiliationThe Institute ofCancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOncogenic mutations regulate signaling within both tumor cells and adjacent stromal cells. Here, we show that oncogenic KRAS (KRAS(G12D)) also regulates tumor cell signaling via stromal cells. By combining cell-specific proteome labeling with multivariate phosphoproteomics, we analyzed heterocellular KRAS(G12D) signaling in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA) cells. Tumor cell KRAS(G12D) engages heterotypic fibroblasts, which subsequently instigate reciprocal signaling in the tumor cells. Reciprocal signaling employs additional kinases and doubles the number of regulated signaling nodes from cell-autonomous KRAS(G12D). Consequently, reciprocal KRAS(G12D) produces a tumor cell phosphoproteome and total proteome that is distinct from cell-autonomous KRAS(G12D) alone. Reciprocal signaling regulates tumor cell proliferation and apoptosis and increases mitochondrial capacity via an IGF1R/AXL-AKT axis. These results demonstrate that oncogene signaling should be viewed as a heterocellular process and that our existing cell-autonomous perspective underrepresents the extent of oncogene signaling in cancer. VIDEO ABSTRACT.
CitationOncogenic KRAS regulates tumor cell signaling via stromal reciprocation. 2016, 165 (4):910-20 Cell
- Ribonucleoprotein HNRNPA2B1 interacts with and regulates oncogenic KRAS in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells.
- Authors: Barceló C, Etchin J, Mansour MR, Sanda T, Ginesta MM, Sanchez-Arévalo Lobo VJ, Real FX, Capellà G, Estanyol JM, Jaumot M, Look AT, Agell N
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- CXCR2 signaling regulates KRAS(G¹²D)-induced autocrine growth of pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Purohit A, Varney M, Rachagani S, Ouellette MM, Batra SK, Singh RK
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 9
- KRAS(G12D)- and BRAF(V600E)-induced transformation of murine pancreatic epithelial cells requires MEK/ERK-stimulated IGF1R signaling.
- Authors: Appleman VA, Ahronian LG, Cai J, Klimstra DS, Lewis BC
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Yap1 activation enables bypass of oncogenic Kras addiction in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Kapoor A, Yao W, Ying H, Hua S, Liewen A, Wang Q, Zhong Y, Wu CJ, Sadanandam A, Hu B, Chang Q, Chu GC, Al-Khalil R, Jiang S, Xia H, Fletcher-Sananikone E, Lim C, Horwitz GI, Viale A, Pettazzoni P, Sanchez N, Wang H, Protopopov A, Zhang J, Heffernan T, Johnson RL, Chin L, Wang YA, Draetta G, DePinho RA
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 3
- Identification and manipulation of biliary metaplasia in pancreatic tumors.
- Authors: Delgiorno KE, Hall JC, Takeuchi KK, Pan FC, Halbrook CJ, Washington MK, Olive KP, Spence JR, Sipos B, Wright CV, Wells JM, Crawford HC
- Issue date: 2014 Jan