Mode of action of DNA-competitive small molecule inhibitors of tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase 2.
Jordan, Allan M
Ogilvie, Donald J
AffiliationGenome Damage and Stability Centre, University of Sussex, School of Life Sciences, Falmer, BN1 9RQ
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTDP2 is a 5'-tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase important for the repair of DNA adducts generated by non-productive (abortive) activity of topoisomerase II. TDP2 facilitates therapeutic resistance to topoisomerase poisons, which are widely used in the treatment of a range of cancer types. Consequently, TDP2 is an interesting target for the development of small molecule inhibitors that could restore sensitivity to topoisomerase-directed therapies. Previous studies identified a class of deazaflavin-based molecules that showed inhibitory activity against TDP2 at therapeutically useful concentrations, but their mode of action was uncertain. We have confirmed that the deazaflavin series inhibits TDP2 enzyme activity in a fluorescence-based assay, suitable for HTS-screening. We have gone on to determine crystal structures of these compounds bound to a 'humanised' form of murine TDP2. The structures reveal their novel mode of action as competitive ligands for the binding site of an incoming DNA substrate, and point the way to generating novel and potent inhibitors of TDP2.
CitationMode of action of DNA-competitive small molecule inhibitors of tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase 2. 2016: Biochem J
JournalThe Biochemical Journal
- New fluorescence-based high-throughput screening assay for small molecule inhibitors of tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 2 (TDP2).
- Authors: Ribeiro CJA, Kankanala J, Shi K, Kurahashi K, Kiselev E, Ravji A, Pommier Y, Aihara H, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 15
- Reversal of DNA damage induced Topoisomerase 2 DNA-protein crosslinks by Tdp2.
- Authors: Schellenberg MJ, Perera L, Strom CN, Waters CA, Monian B, Appel CD, Vilas CK, Williams JG, Ramsden DA, Williams RS
- Issue date: 2016 May 5
- Depletion of tyrosyl DNA phosphodiesterase 2 activity enhances etoposide-mediated double-strand break formation and cell killing.
- Authors: Kont YS, Dutta A, Mallisetty A, Mathew J, Minas T, Kraus C, Dhopeshwarkar P, Kallakury B, Mitra S, Üren A, Adhikari S
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Discovery of selective inhibitors of tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 2 by targeting the enzyme DNA-binding cleft.
- Authors: Kossmann BR, Abdelmalak M, Lopez S, Tender G, Yan C, Pommier Y, Marchand C, Ivanov I
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 15
- Novel TDP2-ubiquitin interactions and their importance for the repair of topoisomerase II-mediated DNA damage.
- Authors: Rao T, Gao R, Takada S, Al Abo M, Chen X, Walters KJ, Pommier Y, Aihara H
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1