BIM mediates synergistic killing of B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells by BCL-2 and MEK inhibitors.
Somervaille, Tim C P
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractB-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (B-ALL) is an aggressive hematological disease that kills ~50% of adult patients. With the exception of some BCR-ABL1(+) patients who benefit from tyrosine kinase inhibitors, there are no effective targeted therapies for adult B-ALL patients and chemotherapy remains first-line therapy despite adverse side effects and poor efficacy. We show that, although the MEK/ERK pathway is activated in B-ALL cells driven by different oncogenes, MEK inhibition does not suppress B-ALL cell growth. However, MEK inhibition synergized with BCL-2/BCL-XL family inhibitors to suppress proliferation and induce apoptosis in B-ALL cells. We show that this synergism is mediated by the pro-apoptotic factor BIM, which is dephosphorylated as a result of MEK inhibition, allowing it to bind to and neutralize MCL-1, thereby enhancing BCL-2/BCL-XL inhibitor-induced cell death. This cooperative effect is observed in B-ALL cells driven by a range of genetic abnormalities and therefore has significant therapeutic potential.
CitationBIM mediates synergistic killing of B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells by BCL-2 and MEK inhibitors. 2016, 7:e2177 Cell Death Dis
JournalCell Death & Disease
- The mTORC1/2 Inhibitor AZD8055 Strengthens the Efficiency of the MEK Inhibitor Trametinib to Reduce the Mcl-1/[Bim and Puma] ratio and to Sensitize Ovarian Carcinoma Cells to ABT-737.
- Authors: Pétigny-Lechartier C, Duboc C, Jebahi A, Louis MH, Abeilard E, Denoyelle C, Gauduchon P, Poulain L, Villedieu M
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- The Bcl-2/xL inhibitor ABT-263 increases the stability of Mcl-1 mRNA and protein in hepatocellular carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Wang B, Ni Z, Dai X, Qin L, Li X, Xu L, Lian J, He F
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 30
- Combined MEK and BCL-2/X<sub>L</sub> Inhibition Is Effective in High-Grade Serous Ovarian Cancer Patient-Derived Xenograft Models and BIM Levels Are Predictive of Responsiveness.
- Authors: Iavarone C, Zervantonakis IK, Selfors LM, Palakurthi S, Liu JF, Drapkin R, Matulonis UA, Hallberg D, Velculescu VE, Leverson JD, Sampath D, Mills GB, Brugge JS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Myeloid cell leukemia-1 is an important apoptotic survival factor in triple-negative breast cancer.
- Authors: Goodwin CM, Rossanese OW, Olejniczak ET, Fesik SW
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Dual inhibition of Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL strikingly enhances PI3K inhibition-induced apoptosis in human myeloid leukemia cells through a GSK3- and Bim-dependent mechanism.
- Authors: Rahmani M, Aust MM, Attkisson E, Williams DC Jr, Ferreira-Gonzalez A, Grant S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 15