Prevalence of skin cancer and related skin tumors in high-risk kidney and liver transplant recipients in Queensland, Australia.
Green, Adèle C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increased skin cancer incidence in organ transplant recipients (OTRs) is well-known, but the skin cancer burden at any one time is unknown. Our objective was to estimate the period prevalence of untreated skin malignancy and actinic keratoses (AKs) in high-risk kidney and liver transplant recipients and assess associated factors. OTRs underwent full skin examinations by dermatologically-trained physicians. The proportion of examined OTRs with histopathologically-confirmed skin cancer in the 3-month baseline period was estimated. Prevalence ratios (PR) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) indicated significant associations. Of 495 high-risk OTRs (average age 54, immunosuppressed 8.9 years), 135 (27%) had basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma or Bowen Disease (intra-epidermal carcinoma) present and confirmed in the baseline period with respective prevalence proportions of 10%, 11%, and 18% in kidney recipients and 10%, 9% and 13% in liver transplant recipients. Over 80% had AKs present with approximately 30% having >5AKs. OTRs with the highest skin cancer burden were Australian-born; fair-skinned (PR=1.61, 1.07-2.43); reported past skin cancer (PR=3.39, 95% CI=1.93-5.95); and were receiving the most frequent skin checks (PR=1.76, 95% CI=1.15-2.70). In conclusion, high-risk OTRs carry a substantial measurable skin cancer burden at any given time and require frequent review through easily accessible, specialized services.
CitationPrevalence of skin cancer and related skin tumors in high-risk kidney and liver transplant recipients in Queensland, Australia. 2016: J Invest Dermatol
JournalThe Journal of Investigative Dermatology
- Incidence and prediction of nonmelanoma skin cancer post-renal transplantation: a prospective study in Queensland, Australia.
- Authors: Carroll RP, Ramsay HM, Fryer AA, Hawley CM, Nicol DL, Harden PN
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Epithelial skin cancers after kidney transplantation: a retrospective single-centre study of 376 recipients.
- Authors: Kaufmann RA, Oberholzer PA, Cazzaniga S, Hunger RE
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 1
- Skin cancers in renal transplant recipients: a description of the renal transplant cohort in Bern.
- Authors: Keller B, Braathen LR, Marti HP, Hunger RE
- Issue date: 2010
- The natural history of actinic keratoses in organ transplant recipients.
- Authors: Jiyad Z, Marquart L, O'Rourke P, Green AC
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Subsequent nonmelanoma skin cancers and impact of immunosuppression in liver transplant recipients.
- Authors: Funk-Debleds P, Ducroux E, Guillaud O, Ursic-Bedoya J, Decullier E, Vallin M, Euvrard S, Pageaux GP, Boillot O, Dumortier J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul