AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypopituitarism refers to deficiency of one or more hormones produced by the anterior pituitary or released from the posterior pituitary. Hypopituitarism is associated with excess mortality, a key risk factor being cortisol deficiency due to adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) deficiency. Onset can be acute or insidious, and the most common cause in adulthood is a pituitary adenoma, or treatment with pituitary surgery or radiotherapy. Hypopituitarism is diagnosed based on baseline blood sampling for thyroid stimulating hormone, gonadotropin, and prolactin deficiencies, whereas for ACTH, growth hormone, and antidiuretic hormone deficiency dynamic stimulation tests are usually needed. Repeated pituitary function assessment at regular intervals is needed for diagnosis of the predictable but slowly evolving forms of hypopituitarism. Replacement treatment exists in the form of thyroxine, hydrocortisone, sex steroids, growth hormone, and desmopressin. If onset is acute, cortisol deficiency should be replaced first. Modifications in replacement treatment are needed during the transition from paediatric to adult endocrine care, and during pregnancy.
CitationHypopituitarism. 2016: Lancet
- Authors: Ascoli P, Cavagnini F
- Issue date: 2006
- Diagnosis and treatment of pituitary adenomas.
- Authors: Chanson P, Salenave S
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- IGF-I levels reflect hypopituitarism severity in adults with pituitary dysfunction.
- Authors: Tirosh A, Toledano Y, Masri-Iraqi H, Eizenberg Y, Tzvetov G, Hirsch D, Benbassat C, Robenshtok E, Shimon I
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Acute and long-term pituitary insufficiency in traumatic brain injury: a prospective single-centre study.
- Authors: Klose M, Juul A, Struck J, Morgenthaler NG, Kosteljanetz M, Feldt-Rasmussen U
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The hormonal effects of pituitary surgery and irradiation: a review of 59 cases.
- Authors: Wittert G, Donald RA, Espiner EA, Livesey JH, Fox H
- Issue date: 1985 Feb 27