Differential Rac1 signalling by guanine nucleotide exchange factors implicates FLII in regulating Rac1-driven cell migration.
White, Gavin R M
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Manchester M204BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe small GTPase Rac1 has been implicated in the formation and dissemination of tumours. Upon activation by guanine nucleotide exchange factors (GEFs), Rac1 associates with a variety of proteins in the cell thereby regulating various functions, including cell migration. However, activation of Rac1 can lead to opposing migratory phenotypes raising the possibility of exacerbating tumour progression when targeting Rac1 in a clinical setting. This calls for the identification of factors that influence Rac1-driven cell motility. Here we show that Tiam1 and P-Rex1, two Rac GEFs, promote Rac1 anti- and pro-migratory signalling cascades, respectively, through regulating the Rac1 interactome. In particular, we demonstrate that P-Rex1 stimulates migration through enhancing the interaction between Rac1 and the actin-remodelling protein flightless-1 homologue, to modulate cell contraction in a RhoA-ROCK-independent manner.
CitationDifferential Rac1 signalling by guanine nucleotide exchange factors implicates FLII in regulating Rac1-driven cell migration. 2016, 7:10664 Nat Commun
- GEFs: Dual regulation of Rac1 signaling.
- Authors: Marei H, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 3
- Proteomic analysis of Rac1 signaling regulation by guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
- Authors: Marei H, Carpy A, Macek B, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 2
- The guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tiam1: a Janus-faced molecule in cellular signaling.
- Authors: Boissier P, Huynh-Do U
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Ankyrin-Tiam1 interaction promotes Rac1 signaling and metastatic breast tumor cell invasion and migration.
- Authors: Bourguignon LY, Zhu H, Shao L, Chen YW
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 10
- Interaction between Tiam1 and the Arp2/3 complex links activation of Rac to actin polymerization.
- Authors: Ten Klooster JP, Evers EE, Janssen L, Machesky LM, Michiels F, Hordijk P, Collard JG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 1