Diagnosis of an additional in situ melanoma does not influence survival for patients with a single invasive melanoma: A registry-based follow-up study.
AffiliationCancer Council Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing a large (N= 25 493) population-based cohort from Queensland, Australia, we compared melanoma survival among cases with a single invasive melanoma only against those who also had a diagnosis of a single in situ melanoma. After adjustment for sex, age, body site, clinicopathological subtype, thickness and ulceration, it was found that there was no difference (P = 0.99) in 10-year melanoma-specific mortality following a diagnosis of an invasive lesion, whether or not an in situ melanoma was also present. We conclude that in situ melanomas do not alter the prognosis of an invasive melanoma.
CitationDiagnosis of an additional in situ melanoma does not influence survival for patients with a single invasive melanoma: A registry-based follow-up study. 2016, 57 (1):57-60 Australas J Dermatol
JournalThe Australasian Journal of Dermatology
- Distribution of subsequent primary invasive melanomas following a first primary invasive or in situ melanoma Queensland, Australia, 1982-2010.
- Authors: Youlden DR, Youl PH, Soyer HP, Aitken JF, Baade PD
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Survival outcomes in patients with multiple primary melanomas.
- Authors: Rowe CJ, Law MH, Palmer JM, MacGregor S, Hayward NK, Khosrotehrani K
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas in Queensland, Australia.
- Authors: Green AC, Baade P, Coory M, Aitken JF, Smithers M
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Prognostic importance of a second invasive primary melanoma according to tumour stage.
- Authors: Youlden DR, Baade PD, Aitken JF, Green AC, Khosrotehrani K
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Ten-Year Survival after Multiple Invasive Melanomas Is Worse than after a Single Melanoma: a Population-Based Study.
- Authors: Youlden DR, Baade PD, Soyer HP, Youl PH, Kimlin MG, Aitken JF, Green AC, Khosrotehrani K
- Issue date: 2016 Nov