Short duration immunochemotherapy followed by radioimmunotherapy consolidation is effective and well tolerated in relapsed follicular lymphoma: 5-year results from a UK National Cancer Research Institute Lymphoma Group study.
AuthorsIllidge, Timothy M
Radford, John A
AffiliationManchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, University of Manchester, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a phase II study to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of abbreviated immunochemotherapy followed by (90) Y Ibritumomab tiuxetan ((90) Y-IT) in patients with recurrent follicular lymphoma. Of the 52 patients enrolled, 50 were treated with three cycles of R-CHOP (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, prednisolone) or R-CVP (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisolone), followed by (90) Y-IT regimen (15 MBq/kg, maximum 1200 MBq) preceded by two infusions of 250 mg/m(2) rituximab. The overall response rate was 98% with complete response (CR) 30% and partial response (PR) 68%. 18 patients with a PR following chemotherapy improved to a CR following (90) Y-IT: a conversion rate of 40%. Seven patients with PR following (90) Y-IT subsequently improved to a CR 12-18 months later, leading to an overall CR rate of 44%. With a median follow-up of 5 years, median progression-free survival was 23·1 months and overall survival was 77·5% at 5 years. High trough serum rituximab levels (median 112 μg/ml; range 52-241) were attained after four doses of rituximab, prior to (90) Y-IT; this was not found to influence response rates. The treatment was well tolerated with few (13·5%) grade 3 or 4 infective episodes and manageable haematological toxicity. Abbreviated immunochemotherapy followed by (90) Y-IT is an effective and well-tolerated treatment in recurrent follicular lymphoma patients previously exposed to rituximab.
CitationShort duration immunochemotherapy followed by radioimmunotherapy consolidation is effective and well tolerated in relapsed follicular lymphoma: 5-year results from a UK National Cancer Research Institute Lymphoma Group study. 2016: Br J Haematol
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Rituximab plus short-duration chemotherapy followed by Yttrium-90 Ibritumomab tiuxetan as first-line treatment for patients with follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a phase II trial of the Sarah Cannon Oncology Research Consortium.
- Authors: Hainsworth JD, Spigel DR, Markus TM, Shipley D, Thompson D, Rotman R, Dannaher C, Greco FA
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Phase II study of rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone immunochemotherapy followed by yttrium-90-ibritumomab tiuxetan in untreated mantle-cell lymphoma: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study E1499.
- Authors: Smith MR, Li H, Gordon L, Gascoyne RD, Paietta E, Forero-Torres A, Kahl BS, Advani R, Hong F, Horning SJ
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Phase II trial of short-course R-CHOP followed by 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan in previously untreated high-risk elderly diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients.
- Authors: Zinzani PL, Rossi G, Franceschetti S, Botto B, Di Rocco A, Cabras MG, Petti MC, Stefoni V, Broccoli A, Fanti S, Pellegrini C, Montini GC, Gandolfi L, Derenzini E, Argnani L, Fina M, Tucci A, Bottelli C, Pileri S, Baccarani M
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 1
- Fludarabine and mitoxantrone followed by yttrium-90 ibritumomab tiuxetan in previously untreated patients with follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma trial: a phase II non-randomised trial (FLUMIZ).
- Authors: Zinzani PL, Tani M, Pulsoni A, Gobbi M, Perotti A, De Luca S, Fabbri A, Zaccaria A, Voso MT, Fattori P, Guardigni L, Ronconi S, Cabras MG, Rigacci L, De Renzo A, Marchi E, Stefoni V, Fina M, Pellegrini C, Musuraca G, Derenzini E, Pileri S, Fanti S, Piccaluga PP, Baccarani M
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Phase III trial of consolidation therapy with yttrium-90-ibritumomab tiuxetan compared with no additional therapy after first remission in advanced follicular lymphoma.
- Authors: Morschhauser F, Radford J, Van Hoof A, Vitolo U, Soubeyran P, Tilly H, Huijgens PC, Kolstad A, d'Amore F, Gonzalez Diaz M, Petrini M, Sebban C, Zinzani PL, van Oers MH, van Putten W, Bischof-Delaloye A, Rohatiner A, Salles G, Kuhlmann J, Hagenbeek A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 10