Protocol for PIT: a phase III trial of prophylactic irradiation of tracts in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma following invasive chest wall intervention.
AuthorsBayman, Neil A
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistological diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma requires an invasive procedure such as CT-guided needle biopsy, thoracoscopy, video-assisted thorascopic surgery (VATs) or thoracotomy. These invasive procedures encourage tumour cell seeding at the intervention site and patients can develop tumour nodules within the chest wall. In an effort to prevent nodules developing, it has been widespread practice across Europe to irradiate intervention sites postprocedure-a practice known as prophylactic irradiation of tracts (PIT). To date there has not been a suitably powered randomised trial to determine whether PIT is effective at reducing the risk of chest wall nodule development.
CitationProtocol for PIT: a phase III trial of prophylactic irradiation of tracts in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma following invasive chest wall intervention. 2016, 6 (1):e010589 BMJ Open
- Protocol for the surgical and large bore procedures in malignant pleural mesothelioma and radiotherapy trial (SMART Trial): an RCT evaluating whether prophylactic radiotherapy reduces the incidence of procedure tract metastases.
- Authors: Clive AO, Wilson P, Taylor H, Morley AJ, de Winton E, Panakis N, Rahman N, Pepperell J, Howell T, Batchelor TJ, Jordan N, Lee YC, Dobson L, Maskell NA
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 9
- Prophylactic radiotherapy for the prevention of procedure-tract metastases after surgical and large-bore pleural procedures in malignant pleural mesothelioma (SMART): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Clive AO, Taylor H, Dobson L, Wilson P, de Winton E, Panakis N, Pepperell J, Howell T, Stewart SA, Penz E, Jordan N, Morley AJ, Zahan-Evans N, Smith S, Batchelor TJP, Marchbank A, Bishop L, Ionescu AA, Bayne M, Cooper S, Kerry A, Jenkins P, Toy E, Vigneswaran V, Gildersleve J, Ahmed M, McDonald F, Button M, Lewanski C, Comins C, Dakshinamoorthy M, Lee YCG, Rahman NM, Maskell NA
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Prophylactic Irradiation of Tracts in Patients With Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: An Open-Label, Multicenter, Phase III Randomized Trial.
- Authors: Bayman N, Appel W, Ashcroft L, Baldwin DR, Bates A, Darlison L, Edwards JG, Ezhil V, Gilligan D, Hatton M, Jegannathen A, Mansy T, Peake MD, Pemberton L, Rintoul RC, Snee M, Ryder WD, Taylor P, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2019 May 10
- Prophylactic radiotherapy to intervention sites in mesothelioma: a systematic review and survey of UK practice.
- Authors: Lee C, Bayman N, Swindell R, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Should all patients who have mesothelioma diagnosed by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery have their intervention sites irradiated?
- Authors: Nagendran M, Pallis A, Patel K, Scarci M
- Issue date: 2011 Jul