(18)F-FLT PET imaging of cellular proliferation in pancreatic cancer.
McNamara, Mairéad G
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationDept of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS FT, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma is known for its poor prognosis. Since the development of computerized tomography, magnetic resonance and endoscopic ultrasound, novel imaging techniques have struggled to get established in the management of patients diagnosed with pancreatic adenocarcinoma for several reasons. Thus, imaging assessment of pancreatic cancer remains a field with scope for further improvement. In contrast to cross-sectional anatomical imaging methods, molecular imaging modalities such as positron emission tomography (PET) can provide information on tumour function. Particularly, tumour proliferation may be assessed by measurement of intracellular thymidine kinase 1 (TK1) activity level using thymidine analogues radiolabelled with a positron emitter for use with PET. This approach, has been widely explored with [(18)F]-fluoro-3'-deoxy-3'-l-fluorothymidine ((18)F-FLT) PET. This manuscript reviews the rationale and physiology behind (18)F-FLT PET imaging, with special focus on pancreatic cancer and other gastrointestinal malignancies. Potential benefit and challenges of this imaging technique for diagnosis, staging and assessment of treatment response in abdominal malignancies are discussed.
Citation(18)F-FLT PET imaging of cellular proliferation in pancreatic cancer. 2015: Crit Rev Oncol Hematol
JournalCritical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology
- 3'-Deoxy-3'-¹⁸F-fluorothymidine positron emission tomography as an early predictor of disease progression in patients with advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Challapalli A, Barwick T, Pearson RA, Merchant S, Mauri F, Howell EC, Sumpter K, Maxwell RJ, Aboagye EO, Sharma R
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Comparison of 3'-deoxy-3'-[¹⁸F]fluorothymidine positron emission tomography (FLT PET) and FDG PET/CT for the detection and characterization of pancreatic tumours.
- Authors: Herrmann K, Erkan M, Dobritz M, Schuster T, Siveke JT, Beer AJ, Wester HJ, Schmid RM, Friess H, Schwaiger M, Kleeff J, Buck AK
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Fluorine-18-Labeled Thymidine Positron Emission Tomography (FLT-PET) as an Index of Cell Proliferation after Pharmacological Ascorbate-Based Therapy.
- Authors: Cieslak JA, Sibenaller ZA, Walsh SA, Ponto LL, Du J, Sunderland JJ, Cullen JJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- In vivo imaging of therapy response to a novel pan-HER antibody mixture using FDG and FLT positron emission tomography.
- Authors: Nielsen CH, Jensen MM, Kristensen LK, Dahlman A, Fröhlich C, Jacobsen HJ, Poulsen TT, Lantto J, Horak ID, Kragh M, Kjaer A
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 10
- Imaging colon cancer response following treatment with AZD1152: a preclinical analysis of [18F]fluoro-2-deoxyglucose and 3'-deoxy-3'-[18F]fluorothymidine imaging.
- Authors: Moroz MA, Kochetkov T, Cai S, Wu J, Shamis M, Nair J, de Stanchina E, Serganova I, Schwartz GK, Banerjee D, Bertino JR, Blasberg RG
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 1