Application of sequencing, liquid biopsies and patient-derived xenografts for personalized medicine in melanoma.
AuthorsGirotti, Maria Romina
Lee, Rebecca J
Rothwell, Dominic G
Mandal, Amit Kumar
Lim, Kok Haw Jonathan
Furney, Simon J
Lorigan, Paul C
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTargeted and immunotherapies have transformed melanoma care, extending median survival from ~9 to over 25 months but nevertheless, most patients still die of their disease. The aim of precision medicine is to tailor care for individual patients and improve outcomes. To this end we developed protocols to facilitate individualized treatment decisions for advanced melanoma patients, analyzing 364 samples from 214 patients. Whole exome sequencing (WES) and targeted sequencing of circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) allowed us to monitor responses to therapy and to identify and then follow mechanisms of resistance. WES of tumors revealed potential hypothesis-driven therapeutic strategies for BRAF wild-type and inhibitor-resistant BRAF mutant tumors, which were then validated in patient-derived xenografts (PDXs). We also developed circulating tumor cell-derived xenografts (CDX) as an alternative to PDXs when tumors were inaccessible or difficult to biopsy. Thus, we describe a powerful technology platform for precision medicine of melanoma patients.
CitationApplication of sequencing, liquid biopsies and patient-derived xenografts for personalized medicine in melanoma. 2015: Cancer Discov
- Whole-Exome Sequencing of Metastatic Cancer and Biomarkers of Treatment Response.
- Authors: Beltran H, Eng K, Mosquera JM, Sigaras A, Romanel A, Rennert H, Kossai M, Pauli C, Faltas B, Fontugne J, Park K, Banfelder J, Prandi D, Madhukar N, Zhang T, Padilla J, Greco N, McNary TJ, Herrscher E, Wilkes D, MacDonald TY, Xue H, Vacic V, Emde AK, Oschwald D, Tan AY, Chen Z, Collins C, Gleave ME, Wang Y, Chakravarty D, Schiffman M, Kim R, Campagne F, Robinson BD, Nanus DM, Tagawa ST, Xiang JZ, Smogorzewska A, Demichelis F, Rickman DS, Sboner A, Elemento O, Rubin MA
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Individualized strategies to target specific mechanisms of disease in malignant melanoma patients displaying unique mutational signatures.
- Authors: Curiel-Olmo S, García-Castaño A, Vidal R, Pisonero H, Varela I, León-Castillo A, Trillo E, González-Vela C, García-Diaz N, Almaraz C, Moreno T, Cereceda L, Madureira R, Martinez N, Ortiz-Romero P, Valdizán E, Piris MA, Vaqué JP
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 22
- Circulating tumor DNA: a promising biomarker in the liquid biopsy of cancer.
- Authors: Cheng F, Su L, Qian C
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26
- Patient-derived xenografts from non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases are valuable translational platforms for the development of personalized targeted therapy.
- Authors: Lee HW, Lee JI, Lee SJ, Cho HJ, Song HJ, Jeong DE, Seo YJ, Shin S, Joung JG, Kwon YJ, Choi YL, Park WY, Lee HM, Seol HJ, Shim YM, Joo KM, Nam DH
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 1
- Next-Generation Sequencing Reveals Pathway Activations and New Routes to Targeted Therapies in Cutaneous Metastatic Melanoma.
- Authors: Carlson JA, Caldeira Xavier JC Jr, Tarasen A, Sheehan CE, Otto G, Miller VA, Stephens PJ, Elvin JA, Vergilio JA, Suh J, Gay LM, Ross JS
- Issue date: 2017 Jan