GFI1 proteins orchestrate the emergence of haematopoietic stem cells through recruitment of LSD1.
Miller, Crispin J
AffiliationCRUK Stem Cell Biology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn vertebrates, the first haematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) with multi-lineage and long-term repopulating potential arise in the AGM (aorta-gonad-mesonephros) region. These HSCs are generated from a rare and transient subset of endothelial cells, called haemogenic endothelium (HE), through an endothelial-to-haematopoietic transition (EHT). Here, we establish the absolute requirement of the transcriptional repressors GFI1 and GFI1B (growth factor independence 1 and 1B) in this unique trans-differentiation process. We first demonstrate that Gfi1 expression specifically defines the rare population of HE that generates emerging HSCs. We further establish that in the absence of GFI1 proteins, HSCs and haematopoietic progenitor cells are not produced in the AGM, revealing the critical requirement for GFI1 proteins in intra-embryonic EHT. Finally, we demonstrate that GFI1 proteins recruit the chromatin-modifying protein LSD1, a member of the CoREST repressive complex, to epigenetically silence the endothelial program in HE and allow the emergence of blood cells.
CitationGFI1 proteins orchestrate the emergence of haematopoietic stem cells through recruitment of LSD1. 2016, 18 (1):21-32 Nat. Cell Biol
JournalNature Cell Biology
- New insights into the regulation by RUNX1 and GFI1(s) proteins of the endothelial to hematopoietic transition generating primordial hematopoietic cells.
- Authors: Thambyrajah R, Patel R, Mazan M, Lie-A-Ling M, Lilly A, Eliades A, Menegatti S, Garcia-Alegria E, Florkowska M, Batta K, Kouskoff V, Lacaud G
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 17
- Single-cell transcriptomics reveal the dynamic of haematopoietic stem cell production in the aorta.
- Authors: Baron CS, Kester L, Klaus A, Boisset JC, Thambyrajah R, Yvernogeau L, Kouskoff V, Lacaud G, van Oudenaarden A, Robin C
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 28
- In vivo generation of haematopoietic stem/progenitor cells from bone marrow-derived haemogenic endothelium.
- Authors: Yvernogeau L, Gautier R, Petit L, Khoury H, Relaix F, Ribes V, Sang H, Charbord P, Souyri M, Robin C, Jaffredo T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Hematopoietic stem cells develop in the absence of endothelial cadherin 5 expression.
- Authors: Anderson H, Patch TC, Reddy PN, Hagedorn EJ, Kim PG, Soltis KA, Chen MJ, Tamplin OJ, Frye M, MacLean GA, Hübner K, Bauer DE, Kanki JP, Vogin G, Huston NC, Nguyen M, Fujiwara Y, Paw BH, Vestweber D, Zon LI, Orkin SH, Daley GQ, Shah DI
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 24
- Gfi1aa and Gfi1b set the pace for primitive erythroblast differentiation from hemangioblasts in the zebrafish embryo.
- Authors: Moore C, Richens JL, Hough Y, Ucanok D, Malla S, Sang F, Chen Y, Elworthy S, Wilkinson RN, Gering M
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 23