An integrated genomic approach identifies that the PI3K/AKT/FOXO pathway is involved in breast cancer tumor initiation.
Ryder, W David J
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationDivision of Molecular Carcinogenesis and Cancer Genomics Center Netherlands, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan, CX, Amsterdam
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTherapy resistance is one of the major impediments to successful cancer treatment. In breast cancer, a small subpopulation of cells with stem cell features, named breast cancer stem cells (BCSC), is responsible for metastasis and recurrence of the tumor. BCSC have the unique ability to grow under non-adherent conditions in "mammospheres". To prevent breast cancer recurrence and metastasis it will be crucial to eradicate BCSC.We used shRNA genetic screening to identify genes that upon knockdown enhance mammosphere formation in breast cancer cells. By integration of these results with gene expression profiles of mammospheres and NOTCH-activated cells, we identified FOXO3A. Modulation of FOXO3A activity results in a change in mammosphere formation, expression of mammary stem cell markers and breast cancer initiating potential. Importantly, lack of FOXO3A expression in breast cancer patients is associated with increased recurrence rate. Our findings provide evidence for a role for FOXO3A downstream of NOTCH and AKT that may have implications for therapies targeting BCSCs.
CitationAn integrated genomic approach identifies that the PI3K/AKT/FOXO pathway is involved in breast cancer tumor initiation. 2015: Oncotarget
- Forkhead Box Transcription Factor (FOXO3a) mediates the cytotoxic effect of vernodalin in vitro and inhibits the breast tumor growth in vivo.
- Authors: Ananda Sadagopan SK, Mohebali N, Looi CY, Hasanpourghadi M, Pandurangan AK, Arya A, Karimian H, Mustafa MR
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 8
- The expression of stem cell protein Piwil2 and piR-932 in breast cancer.
- Authors: Zhang H, Ren Y, Xu H, Pang D, Duan C, Liu C
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- PI3K/AKT/mTOR and sonic hedgehog pathways cooperate together to inhibit human pancreatic cancer stem cell characteristics and tumor growth.
- Authors: Sharma N, Nanta R, Sharma J, Gunewardena S, Singh KP, Shankar S, Srivastava RK
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 13
- Nicastrin regulates breast cancer stem cell properties and tumor growth in vitro and in vivo.
- Authors: Lombardo Y, Filipović A, Molyneux G, Periyasamy M, Giamas G, Hu Y, Trivedi PS, Wang J, Yagüe E, Michel L, Coombes RC
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 9
- ST6GalNAcII mediates the invasive properties of breast carcinoma through PI3K/Akt/NF-κB signaling pathway.
- Authors: Ren D, Jia L, Li Y, Gong Y, Liu C, Zhang X, Wang N, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2014 Apr