Cardiovascular risk with androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: Potential mechanisms.
AffiliationWallenberg Laboratory for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAndrogen deprivation therapy (ADT) is frequently used for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. ADT is associated with numerous side effects related to its mode of action, namely the suppression of testosterone to castrate levels. Recently, several large retrospective studies have also reported an increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in men receiving ADT, although these risks have not been confirmed by prospective randomized trials. We review the literature to consider the risk of cardiovascular disease with different forms of ADT and examine in detail potential mechanisms by which any such risk could be mediated. Mechanisms discussed include the metabolic syndrome resulting from low testosterone level and the potential roles of testosterone flare, gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptors outside the pituitary gland, and altered levels of follicle-stimulating hormone. Finally, the clinical implications for men prescribed ADT for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer are considered.
CitationCardiovascular risk with androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: Potential mechanisms. 2015, 33 (11):464-75 Urol Oncol
- ADT risks and side effects in advanced prostate cancer: cardiovascular and acute renal injury.
- Authors: Crawford ED, Moul JW
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Increased risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease in men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Kintzel PE, Chase SL, Schultz LM, O'Rourke TJ
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- [Cardiovascular risks of androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer].
- Authors: Miller K
- Issue date: 2016 May
- The cardiovascular risk of gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists in men with prostate cancer: an unresolved controversy.
- Authors: Conteduca V, Di Lorenzo G, Tartarone A, Aieta M
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Prostate cancer, androgen deprivation therapy, obesity, the metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease: a review.
- Authors: Collier A, Ghosh S, McGlynn B, Hollins G
- Issue date: 2012 Oct