AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester , Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is considered the most deadly of all cancers, with limited therapeutic options. Although advanced drugs have been tried in clinic, the therapeutic success has largely been hampered due to rapid development of drug-resistance mechanisms. Recently, microRNAs (miRNAs), a class of small non-coding RNAs, have occupied center stage in cancer biology. miRNAs negatively regulate gene expression either by promoting degradation or by interfering with translation of messenger RNA targets. Several lines of evidence have confirmed the crucial role of miRNAs in carcinogenesis, and, importantly, in the acquisition of resistance to chemotherapeutics. Modulation of miRNA expression levels has been proven to increase the efficacy of genotoxic drugs in various preclinical cancer studies. Therefore, comprehensive understanding of the role(s) of these key players in drug resistance may provide novel opportunities to design effective combinatorial therapeutic strategies for cancer treatment. In this review, we highlight recent findings on miRNAs acting as oncomiRs and tumor suppressor genes in lung cancer. Moreover, we discuss the involvement of miRNAs in different mechanisms of drug resistance in this deadly disease.
CitationmicroRNAs: An Emerging Paradigm in Lung Cancer Chemoresistance. 2015, 2:77 Front Med
JournalFrontiers in Medicine
- Non-coding RNAs in Lung Cancer Chemoresistance.
- Authors: Mondal P, Natesh J, Kamal MA, Meeran SM
- Issue date: 2019
- Emerging roles for modulation of microRNA signatures in cancer chemoprevention.
- Authors: Neelakandan K, Babu P, Nair S
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Impact of microRNAs in resistance to chemotherapy and novel targeted agents in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Rolfo C, Fanale D, Hong DS, Tsimberidou AM, Piha-Paul SA, Pauwels P, Van Meerbeeck JP, Caruso S, Bazan V, Cicero G, Russo A, Giovannetti E
- Issue date: 2014
- The Roles of microRNAs in Regulating Chemotherapy Resistance of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Wei X, Shen X, Ren Y, Hu W
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 12
- MicroRNAs in DNA Damage Response, Carcinogenesis, and Chemoresistance.
- Authors: Fang Y, Zhang L, Li Z, Li Y, Huang C, Lu X
- Issue date: 2017