Overcoming endocrine resistance in breast cancer: are signal transduction inhibitors the answer?
AffiliationDivision of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEndocrine therapy is probably the most important systemic therapy for hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Hormonal manipulation was the first targeted treatment employed in breast cancer therapy even before the role of the estrogen (ER) and progesterone receptors (PR) had been elucidated. Unfortunately, a substantial proportion of patients, despite being ER and/or PR positive, are either primarily resistant to hormone therapies or will develop hormone resistance during the course of their disease. Signaling through complex growth factor receptor pathways, which activate the ER are emerging as important causes of endocrine resistance. Targeted therapies, such as signal transduction inhibitors (STIs), are being explored as agents to be able to potentially overcome this crosstalk and thus, resistance to hormone treatment. This article reviews the biology of the ER, the proposed mechanisms of endocrine resistance, and ongoing clinical trials with STIs in combination with hormonal manipulation as a means to overcome endocrine resistance.
CitationOvercoming endocrine resistance in breast cancer: are signal transduction inhibitors the answer? 2008, 108 (3):307-17 Breast Cancer Res. Treat.
JournalBreast Cancer Research and Treatment
- Resistance to endocrine therapy in breast cancer: exploiting estrogen receptor/growth factor signaling crosstalk.
- Authors: Massarweh S, Schiff R
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Integration of signal transduction inhibitors with endocrine therapy: an approach to overcoming hormone resistance in breast cancer.
- Authors: Johnston SR, Head J, Pancholi S, Detre S, Martin LA, Smith IE, Dowsett M
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Biology of progesterone receptor loss in breast cancer and its implications for endocrine therapy.
- Authors: Cui X, Schiff R, Arpino G, Osborne CK, Lee AV
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 20
- Novel mechanisms of resistance to endocrine therapy: genomic and nongenomic considerations.
- Authors: Gururaj AE, Rayala SK, Vadlamudi RK, Kumar R
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 1
- The NFkappaB pathway and endocrine-resistant breast cancer.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Eppenberger-Castori S, Eppenberger U, Benz CC
- Issue date: 2005 Jul