Systemic therapy for metastatic malignant melanoma--from deeply disappointing to bright future?
AffiliationCRUK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe last decade has seen a considerable improvement in the understanding of the biology of melanoma. Advances have come in the understanding of the importance of critical oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes, epigenetic phenomena, signalling pathways, drug resistance mechanisms, the pivotal role of the local immune system, and the importance of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. Many of these pathways and interactions include potentially 'drugable' targets. These developments have allowed the identification and/or design of a range of new, targeted therapies. Evaluation of these new drugs has brought a whole new series of challenges. These include identification of appropriate pre-clinical models, overcoming the redundancy in-built in complex biological systems, identification of appropriate molecular and clinical endpoints to show that the drug is hitting the target, how to combine treatments, and new toxicities. For the first time, there is the possibility of personalized treatment for melanoma patients, based on individual host and tumour characteristics. This paper discusses the range of new drugs and targets have been identified, the outcome of clinical trials, and the directions for future advances.
CitationSystemic therapy for metastatic malignant melanoma--from deeply disappointing to bright future? 2008, 17 (5):383-94 Exp. Dermatol.
- New approaches in metastatic melanoma: biological and molecular targeted therapies.
- Authors: Lejeune FJ, Rimoldi D, Speiser D
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Systemic treatment of metastatic melanoma: new approaches.
- Authors: Hamid O, Boasberg PD, Rosenthal K, O'Day SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Molecularly targeted therapy for melanoma: current reality and future options.
- Authors: Becker JC, Kirkwood JM, Agarwala SS, Dummer R, Schrama D, Hauschild A
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 15
- Management of metastatic melanoma 2005.
- Authors: O'Day S, Boasberg P
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Prospects for non-immunological molecular therapeutics in melanoma.
- Authors: Eustace AJ, Mahgoub T, Tryfonopoulos D, O'Donovan N, Crown J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Mar