Fission yeast MAP kinase Sty1 is recruited to stress-induced genes.
Lawrence, Clare L
Wilkinson, Caroline R M
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe stress-induced expression of many fission yeast genes is dependent upon the Sty1 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and Atf1 transcription factor. Atf1 is phosphorylated by Sty1 yet this phosphorylation is not required for stress-induced gene expression, suggesting another mechanism exists whereby Sty1 activates transcription. Here we show that Sty1 associates with Atf1-dependent genes and is recruited to both their promoters and coding regions. This occurs in response to various stress conditions coincident with the kinetics of the activation of Sty1. Association with promoters is not a consequence of increased nuclear accumulation of Sty1 nor does it require the phosphorylation of Atf1. However, recruitment is completely abolished in a mutant lacking Sty1 kinase activity. Both Atf1 and its binding partner Pcr1 are required for association of Sty1 with Atf1-dependent promoters, suggesting that this heterodimer must be intact for optimal recruitment of the MAPK. However, many Atf1-dependent genes are still expressed in a pcr1Delta mutant but with significantly delayed kinetics, thus providing an explanation for the relatively mild stress sensitivity displayed by pcr1Delta. Consistent with this delay, Sty1 and Atf1 cannot be detected at these promoters in this condition, suggesting that their association with chromatin is weak or transient in the absence of Pcr1.
CitationFission yeast MAP kinase Sty1 is recruited to stress-induced genes. 2008, 283 (15):9945-56 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Regulation of Schizosaccharomyces pombe Atf1 protein levels by Sty1-mediated phosphorylation and heterodimerization with Pcr1.
- Authors: Lawrence CL, Maekawa H, Worthington JL, Reiter W, Wilkinson CR, Jones N
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 23
- Genomic binding profiling of the fission yeast stress-activated MAPK Sty1 and the bZIP transcriptional activator Atf1 in response to H2O2.
- Authors: Eshaghi M, Lee JH, Zhu L, Poon SY, Li J, Cho KH, Chu Z, Karuturi RK, Liu J
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 16
- Deciphering the role of the signal- and Sty1 kinase-dependent phosphorylation of the stress-responsive transcription factor Atf1 on gene activation.
- Authors: Salat-Canela C, Paulo E, Sánchez-Mir L, Carmona M, Ayté J, Oliva B, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18
- Transcription factors Pcr1 and Atf1 have distinct roles in stress- and Sty1-dependent gene regulation.
- Authors: Sansó M, Gogol M, Ayté J, Seidel C, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Transcription factors Atf1 and Sty1 promote stress tolerance under nitrosative stress in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Kar P, Biswas P, Patra SK, Ghosh S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan