Protocol for the combined immunosuppression & radiotherapy in thyroid eye disease (CIRTED) trial: A multi-centre, double-masked, factorial randomised controlled trial.
Lee, Richard W J
Potts, Mike J
Rose, Geoff E
Olver, Jane M
Hollinghurst, Sandra P
Dick, Andrew D
Morris, Olivia C
Dayan, Colin M
Uddin, Jimmy M
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Science at South Bristol, University of Bristol, UK. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Medical management of thyroid eye disease remains controversial due to a paucity of high quality evidence on long-term treatment outcomes. Glucocorticoids are known to be effective initially but have significant side-effects with long-term use and recrudescence can occur on cessation. Current evidence is conflicting on the efficacy of radiotherapy and non-steroid systemic immunosuppression, and the majority of previous studies have been retrospective, uncontrolled, small or poorly designed.The Combined Immunosuppression and Radiotherapy in Thyroid Eye Disease (CIRTED) trial was designed to investigate the efficacy of radiotherapy and azathioprine in combination with a standard course of oral prednisolone in patients with active thyroid eye disease. METHODS/DESIGN: Patients with active thyroid eye disease will be randomised to receive (i) azathioprine or oral placebo and (ii) radiotherapy or sham-radiotherapy in this multi-centre, factorial randomised control trial. The primary outcome is improvement in disease severity (assessed using a composite binary measure) at 12 months and secondary end-points include quality of life scores and health economic measures. DISCUSSION: The CIRTED trial is the first study to evaluate the role of radiotherapy and azathioprine as part of a long-term, combination immunosuppressive treatment regime for Thyroid Eye Disease. It will provide evidence for the role of radiotherapy and prolonged immunosuppression in the management of this condition, as well as pilot data on their use in combination. We have paid particular attention in the trial design to establishing (a) robust placebo controls and masking protocols which are effective and safe for both radiotherapy and the systemic administration of an antiproliferative drug; (b) constructing effective inclusion and exclusion criteria to select for active disease; and (c) selecting pragmatic outcome measures. TRIAL REGISTRATION: Current controlled trials ISRCTN22471573.
CitationProtocol for the combined immunosuppression & radiotherapy in thyroid eye disease (CIRTED) trial: A multi-centre, double-masked, factorial randomised controlled trial. 2008, 9:6 Trials
- Combined immunosuppression and radiotherapy in thyroid eye disease (CIRTED): a multicentre, 2 × 2 factorial, double-blind, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Rajendram R, Taylor PN, Wilson VJ, Harris N, Morris OC, Tomlinson M, Yarrow S, Garrott H, Herbert HM, Dick AD, Cook A, Gattamaneni R, Jain R, Olver J, Hurel SJ, Bremner F, Drummond SR, Kemp E, Ritchie DM, Rumsey N, Morris D, Lane C, Palaniappan N, Li C, Pell J, Hills R, Ezra DG, Potts MJ, Jackson S, Rose GE, Plowman N, Bunce C, Uddin JM, Lee RWJ, Dayan CM
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Orbital radiotherapy for adult thyroid eye disease.
- Authors: Rajendram R, Bunce C, Lee RW, Morley AM
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 11
- Establishing the usefulness of the GO-QOL in a UK hospital-treated population with thyroid eye disease in the CIRTED trial.
- Authors: Dietrich A, Taylor P, White P, Wilson V, Uddin J, Lee RWJ, Dayan C, Jackson S, CIRTED investigators.
- Issue date: 2018 Jan - Dec
- Selenium supplementation for patients with Graves' hyperthyroidism (the GRASS trial): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Watt T, Cramon P, Bjorner JB, Bonnema SJ, Feldt-Rasmussen U, Gluud C, Gram J, Hansen JL, Hegedüs L, Knudsen N, Bach-Mortensen P, Nolsøe R, Nygaard B, Pociot F, Skoog M, Winkel P, Rasmussen AK
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 30
- Interventions for the treatment of brain radionecrosis after radiotherapy or radiosurgery.
- Authors: Chung C, Bryant A, Brown PD
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 9