Management of unresectable stage III non-small-cell lung cancer with combined-modality therapy: a review of the current literature and recommendations for treatment.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer remains the most common cause of cancer deaths in the United Kingdom, and long-term survival from lung cancer has hardly improved over the past 30 years. The benefit of combined-modality therapy with chemotherapy and radiation therapy in improving survival for patients with inoperable non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) was discovered over 10 years ago. In this comprehensive literature review, we discuss the current status of combined-modality therapy for unresectable stage III NSCLC. The efficacy and toxicity of different chemoradiation therapy regimens are presented. The potential role of novel and targeted therapies and radiation dose escalation is also considered. Finally, recommendations are made for the treatment of unresectable stage III NSCLC.
CitationManagement of unresectable stage III non-small-cell lung cancer with combined-modality therapy: a review of the current literature and recommendations for treatment. 2008, 9 (2):92-101 Clin Lung Cancer
JournalClinical Lung Cancer
- [Combined modality treatment of chemotherapy and radiotherapy for unresectable non-small cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Kubota K
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- Management of unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer: the role of combined chemoradiation.
- Authors: Penland SK, Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Long-term survival results for patients with locally advanced, initially unresectable non-small cell lung cancer treated with aggressive concurrent chemoradiation.
- Authors: Langer CJ, Curran WJ, Keller SM, Catalano RB, Litwin S, Blankstein KB, Haas N, Campli SN, Comis RL
- Issue date: 1996 Mar-Apr
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria: nonsurgical treatment for non-small-cell lung cancer: good performance status/definitive intent.
- Authors: Gewanter RM, Rosenzweig KE, Chang JY, Decker R, Dubey S, Kong FM, Lally BE, Langer CJ, Lee HK, Movsas B
- Issue date: 2010 May-Jun
- Sequential combined modality therapy for stage III non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Vokes EE
- Issue date: 1990 Dec