Estimation of renal function -- what is appropriate in cancer patients?
AuthorsBarraclough, Lisa H
Wieringa, Gilbert E
Livsey, Jacqueline E
Davidson, Susan E
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To compare the accuracy of renal assessment in patients with cancer using radioisotope glomerular filtration rate (GFR), urine collection for creatinine clearance, Cockroft-Gault, Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) and Wright formulae. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Measurements of isotope GFR from 367 patients were compared with estimates from the described methods (Cockroft-Gault, MDRD, Wright). An analysis including a further 252 patients with an isotope GFR < or = 50 ml/min was also carried out. RESULTS: The Wright formula was the most accurate form of estimating renal function for the first study group. The formulae were similar in accuracy in the second study group. CONCLUSIONS: The Wright formula is the most accurate form of estimation of renal function in comparison with the isotope GFR for cancer patients. When there is a large proportion of patients with a low isotope GFR (< or = 50 ml/min), the formulae have similar accuracy.
CitationEstimation of renal function -- what is appropriate in cancer patients? 2008, 20 (10):721-6 Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Novel algorithm for more accurate calculation of renal function in adults with cancer.
- Authors: Holweger K, Lipp HP, Dietz K, Hartmann JT, Bokemeyer C
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Validation of a new plasma cystatin C-based formula and the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease creatinine-based formula for determination of glomerular filtration rate.
- Authors: Sterner G, Björk J, Carlson J, Grubb A, Nyman U
- Issue date: 2009
- [Determination of renal function in clinical routine: which is the best method?].
- Authors: Saile P, Fiedler R, Markau S, Kuhn C, Osten B
- Issue date: 2007 May 18
- Measurement of the kidney function in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: plasma cystatin C versus 51Cr-EDTA clearance.
- Authors: Karstila K, Harmoinen AP, Lehtimäki TJ, Korpela MM, Mustonen JT, Saha HH
- Issue date: 2008
- Difference of carboplatin clearance estimated by the Cockroft-Gault, Jelliffe, Modified-Jelliffe, Wright or Chatelut formula.
- Authors: Nagao S, Fujiwara K, Imafuku N, Kagawa R, Kozuka Y, Oda T, Maehata K, Ishikawa H, Koike H, Aotani E, Kohno I
- Issue date: 2005 Nov