Benign schwannoma in paranasal sinuses: a clinico-pathological study of five cases, emphasising diagnostic difficulties.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To highlight the difficulty in making a correct diagnosis of benign schwannoma in the paranasal region, to raise awareness of this rare condition, and to suggest the most appropriate treatment. METHOD: Retrieval of cases retrospectively from archives of the histopathology department of a major UK cancer centre with central review of all cases. RESULTS: Five cases were identified since 1990 and clinical and pathological features are summarised. Median follow up of patients was 8.1 years. Radiological appearances of local bone invasion and histological features of tumour unencapsulation and hypercellularity could give the mistaken impression of malignant disease and lead to unnecessary over-treatment. CONCLUSION: Central pathological review and clinical awareness is required. Although local recurrence can occur, the prognosis is excellent. The treatment of choice is local excision. Radiotherapy can be considered, but in most cases it would incur unnecessary morbidity.
CitationBenign schwannoma in paranasal sinuses: a clinico-pathological study of five cases, emphasising diagnostic difficulties. 2008, 122 (6):598-602 J Laryngol Otol
JournalThe Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the paranasal sinuses: retrospective series and review of the literature.
- Authors: Michel G, Joubert M, Delemazure AS, Espitalier F, Durand N, Malard O
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Malignant schwannoma arising in a paranasal sinus.
- Authors: Nagayama I, Nishimura T, Furukawa M
- Issue date: 1993 Feb
- Endoscopic management of pediatric sinonasal schwannoma: case report.
- Authors: Chou MS, Chung HK, Tsou YA, Chen JJ, Tsai MH, Jan CI
- Issue date: 2014
- Nasal and paranasal sinus schwannomas.
- Authors: Cakmak O, Yavuz H, Yucel T
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Intracranial extension of a naso-ethmoid schwannoma.
- Authors: Enion DS, Jenkins A, Miles JB, Diengdoh JV
- Issue date: 1991 Jul