Predictive factors for failure to identify sentinel nodes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
AffiliationPlastic Surgery Unit, Canniesburn Hospital, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to ascertain which factors determine success of sentinel node biopsy (SNB). METHODS: We conducted a retrospective review of 121 patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma undergoing SNB to stage the neck. All patients underwent the triple-diagnostic procedure of preoperative lymphoscintigraphy, intraoperative blue dye, and a gamma probe. Factors contributing to failure of SNB were identified. RESULTS: SNB was unsuccessful in 12 of 121 patients (10%). Seven of the 12 patients had cT1/cT2 tumors, and 6 of these were located in the floor of mouth. SN identification was more likely to be successful in patients with cN0 necks, but this did not reach statistical significance (92% vs 84%, p = .268). Factors associated with failure included T classification (p = .01), tumor site (p = .05), and negative preoperative lymphoscintigraphy (p = .0174). CONCLUSION: Successful sentinel lymph node harvest is related to primary tumor site, T classification, and the presence of nodes on preoperative lymphoscintigraphy.
CitationPredictive factors for failure to identify sentinel nodes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. 2008, 30 (7):858-62 Head Neck
JournalHead & Neck
- The use of sentinel node biopsy to upstage the clinically N0 neck in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Ross G, Shoaib T, Soutar DS, Camilleri IG, Gray HW, Bessent RG, Robertson AG, MacDonald DG
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Evaluation of clinical and histomorphological parameters as potential predictors of occult metastases in sentinel lymph nodes of early squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity.
- Authors: Goerkem M, Braun J, Stoeckli SJ
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Primary tumor characteristics predict sentinel lymph node macrometastasis in breast cancer.
- Authors: Tan YY, Wu CT, Fan YG, Hwang S, Ewing C, Lane K, Esserman L, Lu Y, Treseler P, Morita E, Leong SP
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- Sentinel node biopsy for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Stoeckli SJ
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Sentinel node biopsy in lieu of neck dissection for staging oral cancer.
- Authors: Rigual N, Loree T, Frustino J, Jayaprakash V, Cohan D, Sullivan M, Kuriakose MA
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 1