Interlending and document supply trends in NHS North West health libraries 2003/2004 to 2006/2007.
AffiliationKostoris Library, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The Library and Information for Health Network North West (LIHNN) represents health libraries in Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Isle of Man, Lancashire, Merseyside and Wirral. LIHNN members take part in a regional co-operative network supporting interlending and document supply. Methods: Data were analysed over a 4-year period to identify trends and patterns. In addition, a literature review was conducted to compare trends seen in NHS libraries to those trends seen in other sectors and in other countries. Results/trends: Between 2003/2004 and 2006/2007 there was a significant drop in document supply activity reported by NHS North West libraries from 59 321 to 37 134 copies, representing a fall of 37.4%. During the same period, lending between libraries stayed constant. Discussion: The NHS supplies a significant number of documents to its users and it is investigating a number of options to increase efficiencies. The observed fall in document supply activity has been reported in several sectors and has been attributed to a number of cofactors. Although the fall in document supply activity is expected to continue, a critical mass of information is likely to remain behind subscription barriers and this, in turn, will necessitate supply from external sources.
CitationInterlending and document supply trends in NHS North West health libraries 2003/2004 to 2006/2007. 2009, 26 (1):32-8 Health Info Libr J
JournalHealth Information and Libraries Journal
- Online journals: impact on print journal usage.
- Authors: De Groote SL, Dorsch JL
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Electronic journal provision in a health-care library: insights from a consultation with NHS workers.
- Authors: Crudge SE, Hill ML
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Interlibrary loan in U.S. health sciences libraries: journal article use.
- Authors: Lacroix EM
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- A national survey of UK health libraries investigating the cost of interlibrary loan services and assessing the accessibility to key orthopaedic journals.
- Authors: Tahim A, Stokes O, Vedi V
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- The Electronic Fund Transfer System (EFTS).
- Authors: Arcari R, Lewis J, Donnald E
- Issue date: 2004 Oct