The frequency of osteolytic bone metastasis is determined by conditions of the soil, not the number of seeds; evidence from in vivo models of breast and prostate cancer.
Reeves, Kimberley J
AffiliationThe Mellanby Centre for Bone Research, Department of Human Metabolism, Medical School, University of Sheffield, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile both preclinical and clinical studies suggest that the frequency of growing skeletal metastases is elevated in individuals with higher bone turnover, it is unclear whether this is a result of increased numbers of tumour cells arriving in active sites or of higher numbers of tumour cells being induced to divide by the bone micro-environment. Here we have investigated how the differences in bone turnover affect seeding of tumour cells and/or development of overt osteolytic bone metastasis using in vivo models of hormone-independent breast and prostate cancer.
CitationThe frequency of osteolytic bone metastasis is determined by conditions of the soil, not the number of seeds; evidence from in vivo models of breast and prostate cancer. 2015, 34 (1):124 J Exp Clin Cancer Res
JournalJournal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research
- Angiogenesis inhibitor TNP-470 inhibits human breast cancer osteolytic bone metastasis in nude mice through the reduction of bone resorption.
- Authors: Sasaki A, Alcalde RE, Nishiyama A, Lim DD, Mese H, Akedo H, Matsumura T
- Issue date: 1998 Feb 1
- E-cadherin expression in human breast cancer cells suppresses the development of osteolytic bone metastases in an experimental metastasis model.
- Authors: Mbalaviele G, Dunstan CR, Sasaki A, Williams PJ, Mundy GR, Yoneda T
- Issue date: 1996 Sep 1
- Bisphosphonate risedronate reduces metastatic human breast cancer burden in bone in nude mice.
- Authors: Sasaki A, Boyce BF, Story B, Wright KR, Chapman M, Boyce R, Mundy GR, Yoneda T
- Issue date: 1995 Aug 15
- The heat shock protein 90 inhibitor, 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin, enhances osteoclast formation and potentiates bone metastasis of a human breast cancer cell line.
- Authors: Price JT, Quinn JM, Sims NA, Vieusseux J, Waldeck K, Docherty SE, Myers D, Nakamura A, Waltham MC, Gillespie MT, Thompson EW
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 1
- Severe combined immunodeficient-hu model of human prostate cancer metastasis to human bone.
- Authors: Nemeth JA, Harb JF, Barroso U Jr, He Z, Grignon DJ, Cher ML
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 15