Radiotherapy dosimetry audit: three decades of improving standards and accuracy in UK clinical practice and trials.
AffiliationRoyal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey2 National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, Middlesex
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDosimetry audit plays an important role in the development and safety of radiotherapy. National and large scale audits are able to set, maintain and improve standards, as well as having the potential to identify issues which may cause harm to patients. They can support implementation of complex techniques and can facilitate awareness and understanding of any issues which may exist by benchmarking centres with similar equipment. This review examines the development of dosimetry audit in the UK over the last 30 years, including the involvement of the UK in international audits. A summary of audit results is given, with an overview of methodologies employed and lessons learnt. Recent and forthcoming more complex audits are considered, with a focus on future needs including the arrival of proton therapy in the UK and other advanced techniques such as 4D radiotherapy delivery and verification, stereotactic radiotherapy and MR linacs. The work of the main quality assurance and auditing bodies is discussed, including how they are working together to streamline audit and to ensure that all radiotherapy centres are involved. Undertaking regular external audit motivates centres to modernise and develop techniques and provides assurance, not only that radiotherapy is planned and delivered accurately, but that the patient dose delivered is as prescribed.
CitationRadiotherapy dosimetry audit: three decades of improving standards and accuracy in UK clinical practice and trials. 2015:20150251 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Analysis of regional radiotherapy dosimetry audit data and recommendations for future audits.
- Authors: Palmer A, Mzenda B, Kearton J, Wills R
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- An external dosimetry audit programme to credential static and rotational IMRT delivery for clinical trials quality assurance.
- Authors: Eaton DJ, Tyler J, Backshall A, Bernstein D, Carver A, Gasnier A, Henderson J, Lee J, Patel R, Tsang Y, Yang H, Zotova R, Wells E
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Dosimetric inter-institutional comparison in European radiotherapy centres: Results of IAEA supported treatment planning system audit.
- Authors: Gershkevitsh E, Pesznyak C, Petrovic B, Grezdo J, Chelminski K, do Carmo Lopes M, Izewska J, Van Dyk J
- Issue date: 2014 May
- The Royal College of Radiologists' audit of prostate brachytherapy in the year 2012.
- Authors: Stewart AJ, Drinkwater KJ, Laing RW, Nobes JP, Locke I
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Comparative dosimetry study of three UK centres implementing total skin electron treatment through external audit.
- Authors: Misson-Yates S, Gonzalez R, McGovern M, Greener A
- Issue date: 2015 May